banshee crank play

Antec1200X

Nov 11, 2010
Fort Nelson B.C
ok ive asked the guys on BHQ yesterday and still no reply,sence im still supporting this forum I:I i figured id throw the same question at you guys.
just out of curiosity i pulled the flywheel off to check the stator for rust,i found some and i slowly turned the kick starter by hand and the crank on the flywheel side moved out so i tryed pushing it in and out and it moves.im guessing the crank is not supposed to move that easyly in and out.its shee fuked?

damn that was fast.lol
what really got me wondering what was behind the flywheel was a slight tick.and having the banshee on a slight hill made it get louder into a Tick Tick Tick ect... untill i switched it off and pulled the flywheel

damn that was fast.lol
what really got me wondering what was behind the flywheel was a slight tick.and having the banshee on a slight hill made it get louder into a Tick Tick Tick ect... untill i switched it off and pulled the flywheel

well, i'm not saying there's anything wrong, but a feeler gauge is needed to check the play in it. do the con-rods feel okay? up and down, side to side? i know your saying the crank is moving itself, but i'm just wondering about the rods.

i just got this pic off the net to give you guys a better idea,but this is what i mean by side to side

crankcase.png

A Manuel would be a big help to you. I can't really tell you it is because I've never been in the bottom and of a Banshee .

could be the crank bearings you heard too, but i'm at all familiar with the banshee motor. i don't even know why i posted here lol.

i just got this pic off the net to give you guys a better idea,but this is what i mean by side to side

crankcase.png

I am about 60% certain that the certer crank bearing (pressed into the middle of the webs) handles the job of "thrust" control on a banshee. I know the two outside bearings are "pinned" roller bearings and not capable of handling the thrust. Sounds like it may actually be time for a manual and possibly case splitting.

Reactions: Antec1200X
From what I just looked up, a little side to side is normal but must be in spec. Also read that stock non welded cranks tend to separate sometimes. I take it that a Banshee crank is cast in two halves and pressed together.

From what I just looked up, a little side to side is normal but must be in spec. Also read that stock non welded cranks tend to separate sometimes. I take it that a Banshee crank is cast in two halves and pressed together.

It's machined and pressed like a blaster crank EXCEPT that the banshee has three main bearings versus the blaster's two.

One main bearing and crank seal set is pressed in between the two rod throws. The other two bearings and seals are set on the crankshaft and then they have a small pin which has to be set into the crankcase to align them properly.

Just like a blasty crank, a little side to side is ok a lot of side to side is too much! :p

You're getting a new crank anyhow, why sweat it. Actually four bearings, two in center w/seal between one on each end. Basically all four would have to be bad to cause excess end play, a seperated crank wouldn't cause excess on it's own. New cranks ONLY come with all brgs. Ticking noise could be brg going.

I don't recall seeing a spec for end play as described, which would require a dial indicator to measure. I'm sure there is a spec for it, or one of the site sponsers could tell you.

You're getting a new crank anyhow, why sweat it. Actually four bearings, two in center w/seal between one on each end. Basically all four would have to be bad to cause excess end play, a seperated crank wouldn't cause excess on it's own. New cranks ONLY come with all brgs. Ticking noise could be brg going.

I don't recall seeing a spec for end play as described, which would require a dial indicator to measure. I'm sure there is a spec for it, or one of the site sponsers could tell you.

So there are two bearings in the middle of the crank?

Makes sense.... the bearings are lubricated by the 2 stroke oil so it would need a seal in the middle to keep them from case pumping and then a bearing on each side of that seal....

banshee motors are twice as hard on the wallet than blasty's....good thing you caught it man!