Bad Deals

blasterman17

Jul 27, 2010
Chickamauga Ga
Here is where you post all of your bad deals where you got ripped off. I'll start it off. Ok so a couple of years ago I went to buy a rm 85. The guy wanted $500 for it ok so he said it ran great and just had a rebuild. So when we get there. The bike is dirty as hell and everything looks horrible. So i'm like can you start it? He says no & i'm like well why not? He says cause it's out of gas or some sh*t like that. So i tell him that I have to hear the bike run before I even consider buying it. So he goes in there mixes some gas comes out fills it up. and tries to start it for like literally an hour so he lets me try. I started it on the 40th kick.......by this time i'm like i'll be damned if I buy this POS. But I did I have $300 for it and left. I get home and start to do a tune up on it. I take the oil not off & nothing comes out......what a suprise.. He also had the wrong plug in there. So I eventually get it fixed and I take it for a ride up the street & the damn thing blows a piston halfway down my road....So I call the guy back and call him everything I can think of & made him pay for all the repairs. But I still have the bike and I have not touched it in years since it was last ran.

i got a 300ex that "needs a timing chain" as he put it but it didn't need one at all. i paid 300 for it, got it home, put all new electrical system, plug, oil, and new plastics for it then went to check the timing chain. everything inside the motor was perfect and what he told me was, "i'm pretty sure it is the timing chain i was riding it about a week ago and it just quit" so i was thinking maybe it jumped time. i traded it for the blaster i have now and the guy i traded with was trying to pull start it with another quad and the spark plug broke off in the motor. i asked him if he still had it the other day and i brought an old air filter i had because it didn't have one and i put a plug in it and it fired right up even with the bottom of the other plug stuck in the piston. i laughed, took the spark plug out, took the air filter out, told him that he would never fix it and left. so maybe a day or 2 ago i see him and asked him about it and turns out he gave up on it and set fire to it. haha

when i bought my blaster i knew jack squat about thema nd was ot yet a member, well i get there he fires it up, it runs fine and strong, but there is a loud noise coming from the engine ( piston slap i know now) we asked about it and he told us that yamaha told him it was the oil pump gear that was still in, so we beleived him, and bought it for 1350, i rode it for a lil while and then we took it to the shop for a check up and they say, oh that noise is piston slap cause the piston in it is .10 to small, it was a like new weisco they said too, so we go to call the guy and never get a answer, so i had to sell my go kart and buy a new top end... the story of my life on everything, lol

paid 800 for mine and a week later had to put half of that into it to put a new crank,seals and topend. aint to bad of a story but it sucked.

I had an engine builder supply a cylinder and head. He ported the cylinder and did the head work. After I told him at least 2 times it had to be under 200cc I recieved it and it was 201cc. So at my cost I had it nikasiled to reduce the bore. After I got it back and went to put the head on, the piston was hitting the head. Come to find out he didn't make the squish band big enough for the piston and it was hitting the outside edge. Then I went to put the spark plug in and the threads were stripped. Finally get it straightened out and run the heat cycles and break it in....locks up. I tear it apart and it was a heat seizure. Plug looked good and had less than 5 min on it and yes it was warmed up before riding it. Call the builder and he has no clue, so I send it off for another nickasil job. I get it back and start the breakin and I'll be a son of a b**ch same thing happens 4 corner seizure. Call the builder and he still has no clue, but says he'll ask around. Next day he calls and say's the nikasil with the cast isn't allowing it to cool. So I had enough and moved on. But now I know what the real cause was, it was 2 things 1) when you mill the head as far as he did you have to space the plug up because you advance the timing when you lower it closer to the piston. And if that wasn't bad enough I had the stator advanced, so mass heat quick. Did the builder know this? NO 2) When he screwed up the head he had me fix it wih a dremel. When I cut it bigger so the piston would fit I had some highs and lows. The highs become hot spots. Did the builder know this? NO in fact he said you can't screw it up, just grind it. The builder sucks, but I'm not gunna call him out. Live and learn. If your serious and looking for a builder pm me and I'll tell you who not to pick. If you already know please keep it to yourself.

$1300 dollars later I have a big piece of sh*t on the shelve......for sale....want it? lol

I now have a O'Conner cylinder and it's really weird....it worked the first time with no BS

kgibson... you still have a sweet ass blaster. but when i first bought my blaster i knew very little about blasters and the lady told me the blaster was a 240cc bbk. i didnt know so i believed her. well i get it home and people on bf tell me it doesnt look like a 240. well i pull the head off and the piston says 6700 on it. its bore, but not to a 240. the bi*** lied to me

I had 2 1992 Blasters that me and my dad bought in a pair right? 1 was freshly torn down completely and rebuilt to look exactly like the other, and it did, paid $2000 for both of them, Mine blew out after only 3 weeks of use, and a whole pile of problems emerged, my dads is still going strong after 4 months though. The one this idiot DIDN'T rebuild.

Waste of $900, I want to burn down his shop and steal his LT230 that he bought with my money.

ahole.

My stepdad and I bought a 1982 yz250 back in 2000 for $550 and the Guy claimed it just needed atopend. We take it to the shop to get fixed and the rod was bent and the crank damaged as well. Well I learned to never buy something without seeing it running ever again. Bought a 2001 banshee shortly after and loved it til we sold it in 2003.

I had 2 1992 Blasters that me and my dad bought in a pair right? 1 was freshly torn down completely and rebuilt to look exactly like the other, and it did, paid $2000 for both of them, Mine blew out after only 3 weeks of use, and a whole pile of problems emerged, my dads is still going strong after 4 months though. The one this idiot DIDN'T rebuild.

Waste of $900, I want to burn down his shop and steal his LT230 that he bought with my money.

ahole.

familiar with that one, you shouldnt buy in pairs most cases its one good quad made from the two and the other is basically a rolling frame

Happened to a buddy of mine
He wanted to get into riding with the rest of us. At the time I was on a 2001 YZ250F, buddy of mine was working on a 1990 YZ250 and another one of my buddies had a 1997 CR250. So he sees a 1991 DR350 for sale up the road. We go up test ride it, ran fine. I don't hammer on a bike when I test it because if I blow it, I gotta buy it. He buys it, and we take it over to his place and fire it up and he tells me take it up the road, open it up and see if its got some power because I'm the 4 stroke guy out of my buddies. I hammer on it, get it up into 5th on the road, turn it around and bring it back in. It had good power and I;m giving him a thumbs up. Everyone comes rushing in yelling kill the bike. As they say that I see a massive cloud of smoke come up around me. It had blown the valve cover gasket and sprayed my leg and shoes in oil. Turns out the guy didn't even put the gaskets in, he used nothing but a bunch of silicone. That bike has never been right. Always something wrong with it. Ive had to tow it out of Wellsville 5 times now, and 4 of those times were with another bike.

Never got burnt on a bike because I always expect the worse when I buy them and pay accordingly. My philosophy is when buying.....don't fall in love with the potential purchase. Every quad on craigslist has been rebuilt and is in mint condition if you listen to the owner. The fact is that everyone is looking for a great deal but you need to really consider what you're getting when you buy a $300 Blaster. Chances are, it's a piece of crap that's days away from grenading and the money you think you saved will be given to the local engine builder and people on E-Bay. It's a tough game. The best advice is to educate yourself and learn what to look for.

Wow that sucks guys really sucks.....well I have another bad deal-my friend calls me up the other morning bout 7am and says that he is going to look at a yamaha warrior for $500 so im like ok so what do you want me to do about it. He wants me to come with him to look at it so i do and I get there and it looks pretty badass. So I rode it and my friend rode it and we both liked it. After looking over really good we paid $450 and got out of there. When we get home he fires it up and once it warms up he pins it down my road and it threw a rod right through the damn block. We both did not know what to say. So after sitting for about a hour staring at it and talking about it he decides to just let it sit for a couple years in his garage.....lol. The main reason here is do not get tempted by badass things all the time make sure you know what your doing and know what to look for. I actually have a mechanic come with me to look at everything i buy.