axle castle nut question

foolish913

May 13, 2008
kansas city
heres my problem i just got the banshee axle i bought off ebay and the castle nut on the sprocket side is stuck on the axle i tried putting the nut on the other end an useing that to hold it still an after breaking off the cotter pin that goes in it and an allen wrench i put through the hole i finaly found a drill bit the same size as the hole to hold the nut from turning but the other nut wont budge anybody know what i can try to get this thing to come lose im realy wanting to get my rearend put togather an this is all thats holding me up :(:(:(:(

You tried brute force?
Do you have a torch? even a small propane torch will do. Put some heat to the nut and get it nice and hot then try getting it off. Don't burn yourself tho. The heat will make the nut expand slightly. It would be a good idea to let it soak for an hour or two in some WD-40 first. That's what I would do. I had a hub one time that wouldn't come off no matter how hard I hit it and how hot I got it. Ended up cutting it off. I hope you have better luck getting your nut off.

I have a banshee axle I am about to put on too. I am waiting for the bearings I ordered. That's all that's holding me up. Let us know how you make out. What do you plan on doing for your rear brake?

Try PB Blaster (works great on yamaha blasters!!), which is a straight penetrating oil, no lubrication what so ever. WD-40 is a penetrating oil and a lubricant, so it's more of a dual purpose product.

Got air tools?? If the PB doesn't work, try taking it to any garage and just asking them if they can hammer that nut off with a good impact gun. You should be able to hold the axle in your hand and a good impact will get that nut off no problem.

You tried brute force?
Do you have a torch? even a small propane torch will do. Put some heat to the nut and get it nice and hot then try getting it off. Don't burn yourself tho. The heat will make the nut expand slightly. It would be a good idea to let it soak for an hour or two in some WD-40 first. That's what I would do. I had a hub one time that wouldn't come off no matter how hard I hit it and how hot I got it. Ended up cutting it off. I hope you have better luck getting your nut off.

I have a banshee axle I am about to put on too. I am waiting for the bearings I ordered. That's all that's holding me up. Let us know how you make out. What do you plan on doing for your rear brake?

i tried heating it lastnight but couldnt be real noisy an even tried the pb blaster while it was still hot an nothing as for the brakes i have an 04 blaster carrier an 01 banshee brakes so im about ready to slap this thing in till the axle problems

Has it moved at all?? Did you try to cut through the cotter pin with the actual castle (Cassel, hehe) nut?? That's not the best thing to do....and may have caused your problem. Not saying that it doesn't work most of the time, it's just not ideal.

Bring the axle down the street to a shop. Just walk in and ask if they can hammer the nut off with an impact. Tell them what size it is to save them time. They won't even charge you anything to do it.

You know the drive flange (square part that the socket goes on) on a craftsman 1/2" drive rachet? I've sheared one of those clear off, and busted snap-on and craftsman tools trying to loosen bolts on my jeep. (lifetime warranty FTW) Friend with good (Ingersoll Rand is the best!!) impact gun took em right off, no problem. Probably because he was the one that put them on there!!

i finaly got it off but the end is all kinds of chewed up is it comon for the holes the pin goes in to get smashed a lil it kinda looks like the end of the threads is bent where the holes are im assumeing that its from beating out the axle

Do you think you can get a thread chaser on there?? If they're not too bad, and only out at the very end, try cleaning them up a tad with a file first, and then run a thread chaser. Use plenty of cutting oil for chasing the threads!!

i got it so that i can had thread it on but i have to use a impact to get it on and it kinda looks like the very end is bent a lil where the holes smashed in im waiting on a response from the guy i bought it from he said he put the nuts on finger tight but if he did he must be super strong