Arm rippin torque

06twostroker

Jun 14, 2012
breck county, kentucky
I have been looking at exhausts for quite some time now. I have a Powercore 2 silencer so all I really need is a head pipe. Everyone says FMF Fatty is good low end but the dyno shows the same powerband as Toomey with Toomey just having more everywhere? I really want the most possible low end to mid range grunt. I ride tight technical stuff in Ky...Ive been lookin at DMC, FMF, and Toomey but i would love a right bend. It just seems the best isnt made anymore. I plan on KOR porting and head mod in the near future.

go with the toomey, i have a t5 on my banshee and my friend has the b1 on his blaster, it sounds great and has ALOT more power, once i finish mine itll have the toomey kit. they are simply amazing.

I have been looking at exhausts for quite some time now. I have a Powercore 2 silencer so all I really need is a head pipe. Everyone says FMF Fatty is good low end but the dyno shows the same powerband as Toomey with Toomey just having more everywhere? I really want the most possible low end to mid range grunt. I ride tight technical stuff in Ky...Ive been lookin at DMC, FMF, and Toomey but i would love a right bend. It just seems the best isnt made anymore. I plan on KOR porting and head mod in the near future.

It just seems the best isn't made anymore???
What do you consider "The best"
What does "The best" mean to you?
Hmmmm... This is what I know >>>

Toomeys are good.
FMF Fatty's are good.
DMC Alien's are good.
Stock is good(yes you read that right!) its the silencer thats restrictive.
Etc,ETC.

All of these manufacture's offer spark arrestors.

Question...Are you required to have a spark arrestor where you ride?
If so,thats an important thing to consider.

A pipe is only going to do so much.
A pipe with proper jetting and no air box lid will give a "WOW" factor.
PROPER JETTING IS KEY!!! I cannot stress this enough!

Don't get sucked into "Toomey's are the best and everything else sucks" Bullsh*t. They are really nice pipes and silencers,EXPENSIVE TOO,but JETTING IS THE KEY.
I have ridden a couple of toomey equipped blasters where the owner "Thought" it was the "Ultimate" pipe,then road my buddy's blaster with the FMF Fatty and was blown away by how much more power the FMF equipped blaster had. It had nothing to do with the pipe...It was the JETTING! It was properly jetted! Both blasters had the same modifications.

A pipe is basically a fulcrum that "moves" the power up or down the RPM range.

The FMF Fatty will do you well! They are made well too.
I run the DMC Alien and It is flawless in my opinion. It seals PERFECTLY at the cylinder..EVERY TIME,and fits like a glove just like the stock pipe. AWESOME mid range and top end with the porting and head work I have. It has a nice sound too if thats important to you.

As I mentioned above,the stock pipe isn't as bad as you think! It does its job well! The dawback is that its heavier than the aftermarket pipes.

I remember alot of the old pipes from the 80's and 90's that,in the instructions,told you to put a glop of silicone in the flange to pipe joint by the head to seal it. What a sh*tty set up. No thanks

As for right bend pipes,I would love to try one. I don't see much of an increase over a left bend pipe. The returning sound wave is whats doing the work. I don't see one less bend making that big of a change.

As for arm ripping torque, you'll be there as soon as you get that porting and head modification. Thats where the REAL POWER IS AT!

Believe me. I KNOW.

They're hard to find for blaster's but they are out there. The FMF Gnarly is designed to be a bottom end pipe. Most folks don't get them because most engine builds are designed more to augment the top end performance of the machine.

By the best I meant LRD lol. Thanks alot for the help man, (joeak47) you seem to always some of the best information on these bikes (except i like my wiseco forged pistons lol). Is the DMC a better pipe than FMF? Durability is also a big factor to me too. No, I dont need a spark arrestor where i ride, and yes i have noticed the stock pipe pulls from very low rpm but it doesnt have enough hit for me. And (sicivicdude) where can you find a Gnarly for a blaster?

that porting and head modification. Thats where the REAL POWER IS AT!

Believe me. I KNOW.

Joe is very right.

just to add to this i have tried adjusting the port timing before (without porting). do this buy adding and removing base gasket clearences. a stock base gasket is like 0.030 or something. removing the base gasket and useing sealer instead will lower the port timeing by 0.030 which will Bring the power band down in the rpms significantly. after building high rpm hp motors i think it would be really neat to try and make a torque monster buy lowering the ports more. The ports could be opened up and "ported" abit but the key is to keep them low. the stock port timing is right in the sweet spot for good tq and hp but even lowering them for tq can be made for more hp aswell. ken would know what to do and a head could be made to accomadate the porting. Not many people do this like civic mentioned because the blaster 2 stroke is designed for higher rpm hp. my addvice instead of removing base gaskets get the block milled...... i dono anything about how much you could do this because no one else has tryed nor have i. just some ideas.... i do know lowering cylinder 0.030 is a BIG tq difference.

That sounds like an awesome idea. would it leak? and would a dmc expansion chamber fit a fmf powercore 2 silencer?

Why not just go for the FMF pipe? The DMC pipe should fit without issues.

I like components to match.

You will not have leaks without a base gasket. Just make sure there are no "nicks" on the base of the cylinder,or on the top of the case where the cylinder "Meet" each other.

I've ran without a head gasket to test squish distances,and everything sealed fine. Alot of the old husqvarna bikes didn't even have a head gasket.

Alright that sounds like an awesome idea. Would it still have decent mid and top end power? and im thinkin DMC because from what i have been readin it seems the comman consenses is that it has more low end and a bigger mid range hit. I would eventually switch silencers as well if i chose DMC. Have you tried both? Which is the better choice?

My lad runs a DMC Alien, it has great low/mid response.

In 18 months it has never leaked, due to good fitup and a bolt on flange.

Motor is unported with stock head and carby.

Both intake and exhaust have been cleaned up of casting imperfections.

A foam filter is fitted directly to the carby throat as per Gordon Jennings recommendations.

Power is moved down the rev range by the addition of a spacer between the reeds and jug.

A +4 timing mod moved the power down some more, and dual stage reeds made the throttle response much crisper.

It is jetted slightly on the rich side using Castor oil at 25:1 for extra protection and a little more compression.

Combined with a 12:40 sprocket setup and 18 inch rubber, it pulls rather well.

My lad runs a DMC Alien, it has great low/mid response.

In 18 months it has never leaked, due to good fitup and a bolt on flange.

Motor is unported with stock head and carby.

Both intake and exhaust have been cleaned up of casting imperfections.

A foam filter is fitted directly to the carby throat as per Gordon Jennings recommendations.

Power is moved down the rev range by the addition of a spacer between the reeds and jug.

A +4 timing mod moved the power down some more, and dual stage reeds made the throttle response much crisper.

It is jetted slightly on the rich side using Castor oil at 25:1 for extra protection and a little more compression.

Combined with a 12:40 sprocket setup and 18 inch rubber, it pulls rather well.

I bet it pulls real hard. lol how many gears can pull a wheelie?

Alright that sounds like an awesome idea. Would it still have decent mid and top end power? and im thinkin DMC because from what i have been readin it seems the comman consenses is that it has more low end and a bigger mid range hit. I would eventually switch silencers as well if i chose DMC. Have you tried both? Which is the better choice?

Honest assesment >>>

I've tried both,and they work much the same. They both work GREAT!

My buddy has the FMF Fatty set up,and I have the DMC Alien setup.
The DMC Alien in my opinion,is built better with higher quality control. It doesn't leak,it doesn't rattle,it fits like a glove with no modifications,and looks good doing it. I like it alot!

Another plus... When I'm always switching heads trying different squish band head designs and such,I can pull the head off WITHOUT having to loosen the exhaust like the FMF Fatty. Six bolts and "bada-bing"... head is off in under one minute!

Very handy!

06twostroker, check your messages. :)

Trinity an dynoport enough said :). Had the dmc had the fmf had the toomey. Guess whats bolted to the jugs on both blasters dynoport an trinity. Get the trinity if you plan on keeping it small bore. im running a a stock ported cylinder with a 67 wiesco forged piston,flotek head mod, dynoport,pwk 28mm carb, boyeson rad valve and she hauls ass. trinity pulls a lil bit better down low

Dmc has good low end but doesn't touch the right bends in the mid range. Just isnt enough to sway me

Your blaster probably wasn't jetted correctly when you had the DMC installed. Obviously proper jetting is the key to making power with any set up.

The DMC Alien has a killer mid range and pulls all the way to the top of the RPM range. The low end is there too. Perhaps mine works as good as it does because its well matched to my porting and re-chambered head that I did.
My blaster has what one would describe as "Arm ripping torque".

I have my blaster set up with a fmf fatty and power core 2 silencer. I have it jetted perfectly or very close it depends on were I'm riding. Open air box and k&n filter and I beat a 400ex from the line until I hit 6th then he topped out more. But man the way I have mine setup. If u put some lower gearing you would have plenty of power for the trails!