Amsoil Gear Oil

pwgsx

Aug 4, 2010
I got some amsoil " severe gear 75w-90" oil in my garage. Can this be used when I change my clutch/gear oil out??

thanks

f**ck no, do not use it. this is made for a diff it looks like. not for your trannmission in a quad. it is going to be too thick and not provide proper lubing of all parts. also it looks to have friction modifiers in it. just get some atf type F and you will be happy.

^^What shee said (no pun intended :D ). DO NOT USE IT! Yup, type F ATF will be fine, or a name-brand oil made for motorcycle gearboxes such as Bel-Ray Gearsaver or Honda HP80W. I run the honda HP and have had no problems.

what about Silkolene - Medium Gear Oil?? My local shop only carries this brand. This is the specs:

Advanced specification gear and transmission fluids formulated for use in high performance competition and road motorcycles. Contains surface-active, extreme pressure components that protect transmission parts, even under severe shock load conditions. Offers outstanding long life wear resistance, reduces viscous drag and friction and ensures smooth, slick gear changes. SAE 20W-50 (Crankcase), SAE 85W or SAE 90 (Gearbox).

looks like it is made for wet clutches, but that anti wear sh*t makes me think it has friction modifiers in it. but it should work.

YES use it....

for the rest of you if you dont know what you are talking about dont TALK.

what is in the transmission..clutches and gears... what is this oil desinged for? gears and clutches

ask phragle he runs it in his Baja and 24 hour endurance RACE blaster. Its all I run in any 2 stroke trans, automotive trans or diff.

Belray GEAR SAVER is nothing but a standard gear oil.
a 75w-90 gear oil is very light and what most standard transmissions and limited slip differentials regardless . (comparable to a 10w-30 010w-40)

Friction modifiers are different then ANTI-Friction modifiers used in energy conserving oils. The friction modifiers in a gear lube are designed to make the clutches slip less unlike anti-friction modifiers that can cause clutch plates to glaze and slip. Thats why Severe gear will make limited slip diffs hook up a lot better. Phragle and his race partner poohbear once said using the Amsoil gear oil 75w-90 allowed the stock clutch to perform just as well or better then a performance clutch with HD springs

what do these like 80w fluids do better than my yamalube 4 10w-40? the manuel say to use yamalube 4 10w-30, but i cant find that so i use 10w-40.

i think almost everything made by amsoil is good. amsoil isnt cheap and they dont make crap. i use bel ray gear saver 80w, but amsoil gear oil is useable. it doesnt matter if it is for the differential. a diff used gear oil, which is what alot of people use in their blaster trannys.

gear oils are desinged to be used in gear boxes, transmissions and differentials... the biggest differences are the viscosity, its ability to maintain viscosity and withstand extreme pressure from hypoid gears, syncros, clutches and viscous couplings etc etc.
The reason light gear oils are better then engine oils is the viscosity and roping affect . because the transmission is not under pump pressure it relys on its lubrication from picking up oil the the bottom of the gears are sitting in and distributing that throught all the components without flining off... has anyone ever seen the lucas oil additive displays at napa and other auto type stores? thats what gear oils do. better protection, better clutch performance etc....
not all gear oils are made the same, nome contain molly and teflon etc....stick with the true synthetics like the Amsoil severe gear 75W-90

The great thing about this oil is you never need to change it.
because its a true synthetic water will not mix with it, so simply drian it, filter it through a coffee filter and re-use it over and over and over. the filter will remove any water and grit and your ready to reuse the oil.
think about it is big rigs can run this in limited slip differentials for millions of miles without changing it, the lil blaster aint gonna wear it out.

well thats good to hear, im glad the amsoil gear oil I go will work, guess ill cycle thru this quart of silcoline and then keep with amsoil.

my selection has always been like this

Gear lube in the diff's
Tranny fluid in the transmission
Engine oil in the motor

granted, manual tranny's and differentials both pick up their lube without a pump, but diff's dont have shifting parts but rather rely on pressure protection. trannys do have moving/shifting parts and must have a high shock value. then you add in the purpose and duty in the clutch and I just dont see a heavy weight fluid offering the cooling effect a lighter weight can.

changed mine today, man was it dirty, dont think the guy I got it from ever changed it.