Air Leaks 1.5PSI

Tiffany Emory

Jun 20, 2019
Hey everybody, so i've been trying to do a leakdown test with AWK's leakdown tester.

I have the expandable plug, cut with grease in the exhaust port.
I have the tester in the intake
I made sure piston was BDC

Pumping the tester i cannot get a read above 1.5psi
So I soap/water sprayed the tester and around everywhere I could think of, however I see no bubbles/leaks.

I did have a small oil leak a coming from just under the exhaust flange? possibly where top end/bottom end meet? After a short ride there would be very light oil spatter on the frame.
I do not see any bubble leaks there not that i have removed the exhaust flange and header?

Any advice/tips is greatly appreciated.

Hold the intake fitting against your leg bare skin and pump it to be sure the gauge is actually reading above 1.5 psi.
I've not had any problems yet with those gauges, but ya never know, and let me know the results.

are you continuing to pump pressure as you spray the soapy water ?

the other 2 places it could be leaking would be the crank seals on stator and clutch side, both under the covers where you can't spray without removing the covers/stator
you may find bubbles around the stator cover or where the wires exit that cover towards the front
on the clutch side pressure will be escaping out of the vent hose, which runs up under the hood, I'd pop that hose off the vent nipple on the clutch side case and put my own short hose on to hold under a cup full of soapy water to test that side.
keep pumping as you test.

Ok will try all that and get back to you.

The reason i suspected a leak was because of irregular high idle, and it sometimes would take a while to idle down after a rev in gear.

Reactions: Awk08
Hey @Awk08, my bike did not have a hose running from the clutch nipple, i added a short one and did the soap cup test.. no bubbles.

I went over to the stator side, is the black stator cover is supposed to have an airtight seal? I do see there is 2 cutouts in the aluminum case that the cover doesnt seal. (After some research i see there is a
PLUG (90338-09206-00)
GROMMET (90480-01209-00)
missing for those 2 holes.

Also the cover is missing a bolt and another is stripped. (Do i need to remove the flywheel and stator to test the crank seal?)

Also there appears to be a very small amount of oil residue in the bottom of the stator case and cover.

Last edited:
Yes to the waterproof seal on stator cover, you'll need those rubber plugs

If there is oil residue in the bottom of the stator cover, chances are very good that crank seal is leaking
yes you'll need a flywheel puller to remove it and the stator to test/replace the seal. If I were doing that side, I'd do the clutch side too.

an impact driver helps with the stator screws
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Manual...489784&hash=item3d835a96dd:g:~AgAAOSwXCVcZaEk