Air filter advantages

Prime

Jul 11, 2011
Batavia, NY
Hey guys, just wondering what some of the benefits of using a UNI or k&n filter are...why should I switch to one of these and what would suit my riding needs more? I mostly ride on grass, through fields, and a little trails i should also mention that maintenance of the filter is not a bother to me. I'd be glad to clean it after every ride.

do you have the stock airbox? or any modifications to the air intake? UNI filters are the best protection you can have for your motor . I run a UNI POD filter with a Outerwears Pre Filter around it . I ride in the dunes , Its Dusty , Dry , Hot , Dirty , When the wind kicks up its like being inside a sand blaster , we cross creeks and muddy washouts . Then theres the salt water that wreaks havoc on your quad . UNI's are the ONLY filter that will protect you in the harshest conditions . GO UNI OR GO HOME!!!!!

Ohh boy here we go again...

IMO though theres NO differences in protection between the two, K&N's offer more airflow, BUT the engine can only suck in so much air so if thats beyond what UNIs can suck then your not going to see any differences.

People on always cry that K&N's let dust through and such, but has anybody ever seen a sprint car race? they've got to be the dustiest race ever, and they run K&N filters, along with racers in baja.

So im going to run my K&N without any fear of it sucking in anything it shouldnt.

chart.jpg

faqcopy.jpg

UNI has been winning races since the 70's , Its just a better design than the pleated K&N design . Easier to clean , peace of mind . You can't beat them . I also mentioned that the best combo is to add a outerwears wrap to the UNI .
Just Sayin ......

chart.jpg

faqcopy.jpg

UNI has been winning races since the 70's , Its just a better design than the pleated K&N design . Easier to clean , peace of mind . You can't beat them . I also mentioned that the best combo is to add a outerwears wrap to the UNI .
Just Sayin ......

Wheres K&N on this graph?

Also, will I see anything improve by installing a UNI with the outerwears cover and taking the airbox lid off?

yes and no their like adding reeds they dont add much noticable power but your quad will have healthier unrestricted throttle responce that you dident think you had K&N filters are more for the desert rats than anything else and they can get cloged from breathing in so much air but nothing will get through what so ever though. But I like to use UNI it's very dependable and it's american made.

Also, will I see anything improve by installing a UNI with the outerwears cover and taking the airbox lid off?

You will have to RE-Jet your carb for the added air flow , you'll need to jump 1-2 main jets larger , and of course do some plug chops to make sure you arent running too lean .

I would think an uni would protect better and hold more oil and best flow as far as sponge type filters.But the benefits of k&n is you dont need to replace it just wash it and re oil.Also the k&n has much more air flow especially a big benefit with the blasters seriously small air box.If your running stock not going to make much of a difference but mine has been bored and ported with fmf pipe and boyesen reeds.I noticed when I threw a 30mm carb that the uni filter was noticably holding back and restricting the airflow.I threw on a k&n and much better but thinking new air box now.And yes get rid of the lid.They make an outerwear to keep dabree out.

I would think an uni would protect better and hold more oil and best flow as far as sponge type filters.But the benefits of k&n is you dont need to replace it just wash it and re oil.Also the k&n has much more air flow especially a big benefit with the blasters seriously small air box.If your running stock not going to make much of a difference but mine has been bored and ported with fmf pipe and boyesen reeds.I noticed when I threw a 30mm carb that the uni filter was noticably holding back and restricting the airflow.I threw on a k&n and much better but thinking new air box now.And yes get rid of the lid.They make an outerwear to keep dabree out.

Man, this thread is old. I appreciate you're opinion, but I'm going to run a UNI anyways. No need to worry about airbox restrictions, since there isn't one on my bike! I:I

(1000th post woohoo)...or not? Some how 2 posts got deleted

Ohh boy here we go again...

IMO though theres NO differences in protection between the two, K&N's offer more airflow, BUT the engine can only suck in so much air so if thats beyond what UNIs can suck then your not going to see any differences.

People on always cry that K&N's let dust through and such, but has anybody ever seen a sprint car race? they've got to be the dustiest race ever, and they run K&N filters, along with racers in baja.

So im going to run my K&N without any fear of it sucking in anything it shouldnt.

here is my problem with k&n.. how do u wash a k&n? u run it under the faucet and what happens? the damn water runs right thru it (as designed) so what makes u think that it stops water out on a trail? foam filter is the best way to go