Affordable way to widen and stretch 03' blaster

Wheels434

Feb 22, 2013
Appomattox, VA
Hello Blaster Forum! I just purchased a near mint 2003 Blaster for $1000. Since I got the quad so cheap I figured I would drop a couple hundred on some mods right off the bat. First off I would like to widen and stretch the bike a bit. I have heard horror stories about extended swings arms and I'm a bit shook up on purchasing one. Also I have heard that wheel spacers can decrease your handling. Just so you know I will not be racing the bike but will be doing wide open dirt road riding and some trail riding. If you guys have any suggestions on a cheap but proper way to make these mods, throw them at me!

Thanks dude.. I would prefer just using bolt on stuff if at all possible. I have just read so may threads saying different things about putting wheel spacers on the front of your quad. Some say its fine some say its bad for your handling? I'm thinking of getting a oem banshee rear axle instead of spacer in the back. They seem to be around the same price anyway. As for the front I'm still clueless haha.

Not sure what tors are? I've heard that turning the tires around on the 03 and up models is not an option because of the brakes being different.

Also is the tors removed? You can get a little more power that way.

WRONG !!

Why would someone do all the work to cobble Banshee arms on a Blaster?? Banshees are very near the bottom of the list when it comes to handleing, at least stock. Plus it takes more work than worth to get the swinger to work.

Extended stock swingers is not an ideal option in my mind.
Get a 400ex rear shock, wheelspacers for front (for now) and good shocks. Then when money allows get extended a arms, extended swinger.

easy bolt on mod get a rear banshee axle and then i would get some stud spacers to make it even a tad wider, i would also get some +3 or +4 stud spacers for the front depending on how wide your trails are. the stud spacers can cause bump steer but i run them and i jump and i dont have a problem at all.

I run 5" wheel spacers all the way around on all the bikes. Cheap and works great. I will be bolting on my +4 swingarm soon. All together it was 375 dollars. That's for spacers, swinger, and chain.

I dont get it. maybe you just want to spend money on your toy. Its all good. But i have to say, if you are just runnning on flat open dirt roads, you dont need that. In my experience of riding mine, just get your rear end off the seat and hang it down by the foot peg, you should be good to go. Thats riding rutted up trails with tight turns. Im closer to 50 than 40, so i bet your can handle doing this too.

Actually i did had a problem with my blaster when i first bought it and it had the stock rounded profile tire on it. I switched to a flat profile tire and it did make alot of difference, but i must add this was my first atv and i didnt know how to ride it properly. Going 40-50 miles an hour riding on the two outside wheels while pine trees zip by does tend to make the rear end pucker.

Dont take my post as something negative, because the way the blaster is set up (in my opinion) is what makes it so fun to ride. If i want to go fast and feel safe and go fast i ride my outlaw, if i just want to feel safe, i ride my recon. Anyways, they do look good with extend rear swingarms.

Only problem i had with an 03 or newer with turning wheels inside out is the valve stem nothing the brakes.you can either re drill a hole for a new valve stem and plu the other, i think i seen a post on here some time ago about this and some one mentioned about a small tiney valve stem... this also raise a question with me, my trails aren't to wide but wide enough to widen front end..say i go with the front wheel spacers say 2 inch and flip my rims around, would than i have to change the valve stem? I'm just asking because if flipping the room around gives me an extra inch and my trails are wide enough i would do that, if its two wide i will just leave the spacers and not flip rims around..i don't want to get the 3 inch wheel spacers and be to wide. Now that I'm thinking about it i think that would work..maybe i answered my own question lol ... n.m

I want to see pics of the Banshee Swingarm on the Blaster , cause I have my doubts about that. a +4 swinger from The Swingarm Shop is a great investment , they build a solid unit. a set of round stud type wheel spacers out back is 30 bucks , far cheaper than having to fit a shee axle on the blaster. and if you are just doing general trail riding , out for fun etc. get a Diamond J kit , BUT buy 1 piece extended tie rods , using a tie rod extension is a weak link. Why not save your dough for a set of ASR A-Arms though? That along with a +4 swinger will make you a very happy rider.

Thanks for all the negative/positive responses. I ended up getting a set of these for now just to see how they run. 5" ATV Wheel Spacers Tracker Breeze Warrior Blaster | eBay If I end up not liking the outcome then hell, I'll just pull them off. I got 2 sets for $40 so not that big of a lose if they turn out not being what I want. Also I'm replacing my stock balloons with some 20x11-8 Nanco all terrains I got a great deal on. So that should stabilize the whole riding experience a little more. Just so you guys know.. I'm setting this quad up so its safer for my wife to ride as well. I'm planning on getting a Banshee next summer and this will eventually be her blaster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, whats an effective way to protect the disc breaks from being bent/smashed, since I know they will protrude outside of the wheel once the spacers are on the front?