A-arm ball joint

FF/EMT-23

Jun 30, 2010
Putnam County Georgia
Hey everyone, I'm working on my first rebuild. Tried to but the lower a arm back on, but when tring to tighing the nut the bal joint just spins. Cant get it to do anything. Ive heard the only thing to do is replace the a arm. Is this true? Please help.:-/

you either need to get another stock a-arms with a good ball joint or you need to get all aftermarket a-arms.

Hey everyone, I'm working on my first rebuild. Tried to but the lower a arm back on, but when tring to tighing the nut the bal joint just spins. Cant get it to do anything. Ive heard the only thing to do is replace the a arm. Is this true? Please help.:-/

I actually beg to differ. Alot of ball joints spin. On my other previous bikes my dad and i did this and it has no negative effect. Just grab a small sludge hammer or a mallet and "knock" the backside of the ball joint (the side that faces the ground) (for the bottom a-arms) and vise versa for the upper. Youll have to do it a few times but it does work. Let me know if you have any other questions.

yeah, mine spun, i just pinched it in there and got the nut on there, once it gets so tight, it stops spinning, but normally if u just hammer it in like balsterboy said, it works

Just make sure you dont hit the threaded part! Another method is using the hand vise grips. Get the skinny needle nose and clamp it good. Push the rubber boot down as far as you can clamp it. Tighten the nut until no more, then remove the vise grips and then finish tightening it.

Just make sure you dont hit the threaded part! Another method is using the hand vise grips. Get the skinny needle nose and clamp it good. Push the rubber boot down as far as you can clamp it. Tighten the nut until no more, then remove the vise grips and then finish tightening it.

^^^^perfect awnser, use a c-clamp or a ratchet strap.....

Tried the hammer, didnt realy do anything unless I'm not hitting it enough. Had some needle nose pliers not vice grips and was able to get the nut down far enought till the threads are at the other end. Cant hold it, started spining again. Have to try to find some vice gips.

an impact is the easiest way to deal with this lol

but otherwise you can usually just pry or somehow lift and put pressure on the balljoint into the spindle and that'll hold it.

Tried the hammer, didnt realy do anything unless I'm not hitting it enough. Had some needle nose pliers not vice grips and was able to get the nut down far enought till the threads are at the other end. Cant hold it, started spining again. Have to try to find some vice gips.

When i say HIT the ball joint, hit it! I:I One or two good hits should be enough for a few threads. You may have to do it a few times. You just need the ball joint to seet in the spindle.

When i say HIT the ball joint, hit it! I:I One or two good hits should be enough for a few threads. You may have to do it a few times. You just need the ball joint to seet in the spindle.

ok. thats what happened. hit it and made a few turns then spun again. di it a fewtimes and thn stoped. didnt want to brake anyting. lol

I give up. :( I have tried all I can but it still will not tighten up! I have placed it in a vice a turned it as thight as I could...the shaft still spins. I tried knocking the piss out of it like it owes me money......the shaft still spine. The damn ball joint just wont seat.X:)-/