98 kx250 piston odd size jug

mac2mac

Jan 31, 2011
New York
I have a 98 kx250 engine and need a piston. I keep measuring the cylinder and coming up with 66.10 . Looked on ebay and found dozens of new pistons with a standard bore size of 66.4 . My question is, are there a jug size of 66.10 or is there only 66.4 and up. If so my digital caliper could be off. Also if the jug is 66.4 do I look for a piston for 66.4. Do the pistons go by jug size so lets say its say 66.4 and the pistons size really is 65.5 lets say. I'm a noob when its comes to this kind of stuff so any help will help me alot.

temporary-16.jpg

temporary-18.jpg

You can see here its says 66.2.. but stock is 66.4 wtf :-[

i think you need to measure at the bottom ?
here...........

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool got a better reading at the bottom. It was 66.4 . And on top of the piston it said std which I guess stands for standard. I guess I can order a piston. I'll call ken tomorrow to see how much he can get them for. This is just a bike I want to get running so I don't need top of the line stuff. I'll save that money for the blaster.lol When is your next big ride. If you have it closer to lost trails I'm down to go.

now measure the clearence between the piston skirt and bottom of the cylinder like the video shows, and report those numbers

Last edited by a moderator:
you have to watch that (lot-A/lot-b )stuff on ebay, i've seen ebay stores that list their stuff in "lots" instead of category's like yamaha, honda, kawi, ect.
and seeing as how those are both from the same seller, that may just mean which one it is, so he knows when it sales ?

edit.....
yes, he has "lot-a/b" listed in all his ads...........
http://stores.ebay.com/OEM-CYCLE
so i'd say that doesn't have anything to do with the bike bandit size b

i googled the part #617MO6640 in that "lot-b" one, and it's coming back a stock sized wiseco piston for a 92-01 kx 250, here.......

Store | Motocross East

the other one, "lot-a" only lists partial vin and engine id. #, so i couldn't find anything on it, but it says 66.4mm piston

i'm not sure what that "piston, size b" means on bike bandit ???

piston size a and b is due to the tooling slightly changing size over the course of production. at some point the very slightly enlarge the piston to make it back in spec. on motorcycles that went through HUGE production runs like the cbrf2 ive seen all the way out to like piston f.

which one you fit depends on you, i know a shop that always used a pistons no matter what. where as 99% of the time i do an overbore and an aftermarket piston making the letters on the stock bore useless. considering there will be engine ware no matter what i would try to measure the bore and fit one that gave me the correct PtW clearance.

you have to watch that (lot-A/lot-b )stuff on ebay, i've seen ebay stores that list their stuff in "lots" instead of category's like yamaha, honda, kawi, ect.
and seeing as how those are both from the same seller, that may just mean which one it is, so he knows when it sales ?

edit.....
yes, he has "lot-a/b" listed in all his ads...........
KLR250-650 KAWASAKI KLR, KLX650 KAWASAKI 93-96 C R items in OEM-CYCLE store on eBay!
so i'd say that doesn't have anything to do with the bike bandit size b

i googled the part #617MO6640 in that "lot-b" one, and it's coming back a stock sized wiseco piston for a 92-01 kx 250, here.......

Store | Motocross East

the other one, "lot-a" only lists partial vin and engine id. #, so i couldn't find anything on it, but it says 66.4mm piston

i'm not sure what that "piston, size b" means on bike bandit ???

I guess I can buy one and just do what ken says in his videos and check the clearance around the piston when its in the jug. Since this is not my blaster maybe I'll try a Namura piston. They have the kits for cheap. If it blows up I'll send it to ken.

you would be amazed at how far off it can be and still run o.k. especially in a fairly stock blaster motor. its not a nitro drag engine measured to ten-thousandths.

I did order a piston I found on ebay and I will buy new rings. Then I will follow all kens Oconner videos to check clearances