97 banshee clutch problem.

Xpliot

Mar 12, 2016
So just rebuilt the bottem end on my banshee and thought everything was normal but whenever I shift it into gear. It will still move freely as if it's in neutral. Note I'm also shifting with the quad offif that makes a difference. shifter shaft is moving the star just fine too. And I know I put the plates in correctly

My guess is that the pressure plate isn't right. The dot on inner hub isn't aligned with arrow on pressure plate. Do not over tighten bolts, use correctl torque value.

Suggest finding on-line mànual or getting a Clymers Repair Manual.

I will check again to see but even if I shift it will still roll. Not as easy as in neutral but will still roll.. appreciate the help!

Sounds like it is not ENgaging, as if the lever were pulled, assuming there is free play at the lever and actuator and arrow line up on case.
If pressure plate isn't indexed correctly it can't seat fully and put pressure on the clutch plates.

Idk what it is but now if I put it in first and hold the clutch in, it will lock the tires up.. And will only go into first,neutral, and second no higher

/\ that
or the ball bearing rolled out when the had the pressure plate/rod out ?

here's the dots that need aligned
full

Note I'm also shifting with the quad offif that makes a difference.

now if I put it in first and hold the clutch in, it will lock the tires up.. And will only go into first,neutral, and second no higher

yes, the engine running turns the transmission gears also and definately makes a difference.
try it with the engine running and allowed to warm up (warms trans oil too)

you can also jack up the rear and turn the tires forward while shifting.
that will also turn the trans and allow it to shift up/down easier.

The ball is in there And I definatly have it lined up. Idk why it will still roll when in first gear or second.

No I got a crappy celox stator off eBay I'm currently looking for a better brand online to try another and possibly and ignition cause I tested it and only got .1

Sounds like it is not ENgaging, as if the lever were pulled, assuming there is free play at the lever and actuator and arrow line up on case.
If pressure plate isn't indexed correctly it can't seat fully and put pressure on the clutch plates.

did you look at what he said?? there is an "arrow" on the case and an "arrow" on the clutch actuator that comes out of the case. Make sure those are lined up!

Do you see the arrow? Push the actuator until you cant and if these dont line up you need to adjust it on the clutch side until it does.