400ex rear shock pics.

Mborso1029

Oct 2, 2009
SouthEast MI
okay so i was originally gonna go with the 250r shock but cant for the life of me seem to win one on ebay, so im going to resort to the 400ex. does anyone have any pics of one installed so i can see what kind of labor is involoved, i seen the sticky but of course the link dosnt work. im about to order a buy it now one but just wanna make sure its not gonna be to much trouble for the couple extra bucks im saving over the 250r.

matt

here is a couple diff ones one is the first is stock and the rest are with a +4 swing arm and 400ex shock....fairly east to put on

24dixdf.jpg

28rk5j4.jpg

2uy6qf6.jpg

ad26mt.jpg

352p6kx.jpg

wow that helps alot. so the airbox dosnt have to be messed with pretty much just the tool box cut out? you like the ride of the 400 shock? how about the mounting brackets. easy to fit those up? no big mods needed?

and that's not the toolbox thats cut, it's the area where the snorkel was, on the front of the box, and ya gotta also make some bushings for the top mount, and add some washers as spacers on that bottom so it doesnt flop around, like the pic of the bottom

the 250r shock is so easy to fit, i hear its better..i paid 65 shipped buy it now for my 86. hey if you end up trying to get one MAKE SURE ITS LATER THEN 86+. or else youll have problems lol

the 250r shock is so easy to fit, i hear its better..i paid 65 shipped buy it now for my 86. hey if you end up trying to get one MAKE SURE ITS LATER THEN 86+. or else youll have problems lol

i dunno man, i really like the way mine feels. never tried a 250r shock though... i just thought that a shock off a 2002 would be in better shape than one 20+yrs old. just my thoughts though.:-/

you mean to tell me this is in bad shape?
1115091216.jpg

mind you i didnt do a thing to it asthetically, just bolted and go. adjustable dampening ftw d00d

haha, nope looks nice I:I. never said anything about your shock so you can drop the attitude. what i said was I figured that when I decided to get my shock one that was 7yrs old wouldnt have near the hours on it as one that was over 20yrs old. mabye it does mabey it doesnt thats why i said "just my thoughts". also the 400ex shock does have rebound adjustments too.

Last edited:
i ended up getting the 250r shock, just gotta get a swingarm or get mine extended before i can install, i actually want to rebuild it as well, or maybe just sell it because it seems to expensive to have rebuild, by that time i can just by a works or something.

ok, YB i saw that there was a small space inbetween the shock and the mount on the pic of the bottom mount, just wondering ifthere is a fix to that or is it ok to leave that way?