400ex REAR SHOCK owners

exactly but u may need either 1 washer on each side or 2 depending on the size but i think its about 2 to each side.

and to find the appropriate size nylon i just brought my blaster bolt in and lined them up bc the blaster bolt is pretty much an exact fit to the frame.

PLEASE!! Can you pop your seat off and pic it. So you are saying that you're running a smaller diameter bolt in there with nylon "discs" to take up the slack? Are they "cylinder-like" shaped? Like two mini sleaves between the o.d. of the bolt and i.d. of the frame? I do not understand how that bolt is not moving up and down in the frame eylets if not? I'm sorry if I'm "thick" on this CIRAME1, I'm not very imaginative. Can I drill out the hardened bushing/sleeve if I have a drill press, do I have to buy a special bit? UGH.........I knew I should have stayed on the short bus with the rest of the window lickers!

heres a old pic of mine, i did the same exact thing as cirame

041.jpg

HEY! can i get an acurate measurement from the center of the bolt to the very back of the shock(the furthest point to the rear of the bike). also a measurement from the flywheel side of the rez to the inside edge of the frame dirrectly beside it(checking clearence for the downtube to the carb) i need to see if this will hit the f7 airbox.

HEY! can i get an acurate measurement from the center of the bolt to the very back of the shock(the furthest point to the rear of the bike). also a measurement from the flywheel side of the rez to the inside edge of the frame dirrectly beside it(checking clearence for the downtube to the carb) i need to see if this will hit the f7 airbox.

89CUSTOM, Why are you hijacking my thread?

Lol!,I'm not dude, it's cool. Sorry if I came off that way, I didn't mean it to. ...........and I NEVER try to keep it in the pants, hahah!! I:I

I'm gonna try to drill out the ex bushing to 9/16" id. after I ruin my bits I'll buy titanium. I'm gonna go slow, oil plenty and keep it cooool. .....................then probably end up at the machine shop. I'll keep ya posted.

BTW, thaqnks for taking the pics for me/us. Very nice of you!!
Is the airbox lid snorkel base ALL we have to trim?

..........I've just been instructed to buy a "Cobalt" bit. We'll see this weekend. I really want to make the ex bushing work.

Today I went to Sears hardware to buy a 9/16" or even better, a 14mm "cobalt" type drill bit and of coarse they didn't have it. So I stoped on over to my machinist and he said it would not have worked anyhow. He said that he may not even be able to do it since it's heat treated so much!! He's gonna see what he can do with it before making something from scratch and custom heat treating it. However, he did mention that a VERY hard bushing is needed so that the needle bearings on the ex shock don't pound into the bushing, but also it may not be as drastic "when" (not if) that happens because there's such a minimum amount of movement in there anyways. I figure so what, it will be better that what it was right! It's not like it's the new KTM 450/505sx anyway. To me, spending ALOT less and getting "near" similar results is alot more fun than emptying the bank.....................on a Blaster...............................just for fun.
I:I

Pics of 400ex bushing bored out to 9/16"

Just got the bushing back!!! He had to put it on a lathe while a fixed, stationary carbide bit came in horizontally to remove the material, creating the larger inner diameter. Then honed it smooth. He mentioned once the surface is removed (which is the hardest from the heat treating or case hardening....whatever), it was easier, i.e., being able to hone smooth the i.d. It's ALWAYS good to have a great machinison hand. The place is called A & M, in Meriden, Connecticut. It feels like he did it to 9/16" instead of a TIGHT 14mm. Probably better so that the gease doesn't scrape out when sending the stock Blaster bolt through. ......I'm VERY pleased!!

Here's some pics:

Original Blaster upper shock bolt.
IMG_6925.jpg

Bored 400ex bushing.
IMG_6926.jpg

All together nicey nice!!
IMG_6927.jpg

IMG_6930.jpg

................... time to trim the lid and install and hope it all works.

Excellent ! ! I ended up building a new one, but as soon as my step son gets his apart I am sending both stock bushings to my machinist (We have a bunch where I work) to do those to ours.

Good deal! Nice pics of the quads, the yzf looks SWEET!!! Whats that behind it? ........besides the two Blasters which also look good!

The other is my wifes Raptor 350, which will be PC'd with alot more pink this winter... Thanks for the compliments on the quads..

The Blasters will look alot different by spring (we do our own powder coating)... So I may have to pose them the same at the same trailhead for comparison purposes..