240 kits.............

Blastinit

Apr 14, 2013
SW Washington
Ok, so I know this has probably been gone over too many times, but I'm a Newbie so I have to ask........

What is the best way to go in a 240 kit. I have heard that the Vito's is the cheapest, but also not very good quality. I looked at getting an LA sleeve and sending my cylinder to KOR to have him install and port it - or - should I do the CT kit which is claiming close to 40 hp, but at a big $$$$ pricetag. Your experiences/opinions would be appreciated.

I did the LA sleeve and had ken install/port it. I see no need for more power. I just took mine out this past weekend and all it did was spin. I dont know how much hp it is making, but I know it's enough. At some point you are throwing away money if you can't get the power to the dirt. I have a +4 swinger with 21" holeshot GNCC tires. I pulled the handle bars back to force me to sit further back on the seat. That seemed to help a lot. My point is don't try to build a 40hp blaster and expect it to grab and go.

So, in your opinion, which one of these kits will work best with my configuation - FMF fatty/turbine core 2, stock carb, etc......or......am I going to have to change all of that too?

Any of them will work with your combo and give you more power but you won't get the max power without matching the parts to the BB. When it comes to matching parts, the parts that you want to choice will Depend on how you ride and where you want the power. The main affect is the carb size. One size carb can give you the best top end power but lower the low- mid power where Nother size car. Can give great lower-mid but lower top end .most people try to Im for the middle where you don't have the best power in any range but good power in the whole range.

i wouldn't run a stock carb on any 240 cylinder.
it's not that you couldn't jet it, but a BBK needs more air than the stocker can supply. minimum 33mm, preferably 35/36mm for the 240's....IMO.
and the FMF isn't the best choice for it either, again...IMO

LA Sleeve makes the 240 kit, CT buys from them and only does some moderate port cleanup and charges more $, either is an excellent choice with a different port layout than stock cylinders with huge boysens and triple exhaust, but big $$$

have you considered just getting your stock cylinder ported and a modified head ? mid 30's horsepower is very easily attainable, and possibly 40+ with dune/drag style porting and the correct supporting mods/pipe.
that still gives you all 8/9 over bores, where the 240's only allow 3, there have also been 240 piston shortages in the past.

All the 240 kits have their advantages.There is nothing wrong with a vitos if you plan to get it ported.The airsal is a nice kit also.The ct jug is deffinately the cadillac of them but with a hefty tag.As said I would consider porting that stock cylinder,possibly a 3mm crank,big carb,good right bend exhaust and you will be more than satisfied with the power.If you really want to go to a big bore than any of them are a good choice.Depends if you want to sink as much as the boat in it or just a boat propeller.lol

If I was willing to spend that much money, I don't think the CT Sonic BBK is outrageously priced. $1500 but it does come with the supporting hardware (reed cage, intake, carb and CT Racing right bend exhaust system) Their dyno for this engine shows 40+ HP.

That may be the most I've seen documented but it was their dyno and their engine and we all know how that can do.
I suspect for half the money and a few talks with KOR, you can have all you're ever going to want 99.9% of the time. I have little experience with KOR but I thrust him to be square with me. I've ridden a stock engine Blaster for a year, now I'm going to try a built topend. I'll follow the builders recommendations for the supporting mods, ride it and get used to it. If I need more, then we will talk again and go from there. I'd rather spend $300 to get to 35HP and want a litttle more than to spend $1500 and find I have too much.

As stated above, you are going to have traction issues with that much power. My mods are in my sig and all it wants to do is spin. I have holeshot gncc's on the rear with like new tread.

on that yea you could get a 240 but were are you gonna use it? the dunes and the drag track are where it reall shines not in the back yard or on tight trails where your rpms are low IMHO

on that yea you could get a 240 but were are you gonna use it? the dunes and the drag track are where it reall shines not in the back yard or on tight trails where your rpms are low IMHO

That is exactly where I need it....the dunes! I feel it needs more power to spin the paddles and climb the hills.

i wouldn't run a stock carb on any 240 cylinder.
it's not that you couldn't jet it, but a BBK needs more air than the stocker can supply. minimum 33mm, preferably 35/36mm for the 240's....IMO.
and the FMF isn't the best choice for it either, again...IMO

LA Sleeve makes the 240 kit, CT buys from them and only does some moderate port cleanup and charges more $, either is an excellent choice with a different port layout than stock cylinders with huge boysens and triple exhaust, but big $$$

have you considered just getting your stock cylinder ported and a modified head ? mid 30's horsepower is very easily attainable, and possibly 40+ with dune/drag style porting and the correct supporting mods/pipe.
that still gives you all 8/9 over bores, where the 240's only allow 3, there have also been 240 piston shortages in the past.

I think I would be completely happy with this scenario! So, send my cylinder to KOR to have it ported (and probably bored), add in a forged piston and get my head modified? Does KOR do the head mods too?

I think I would be completely happy with this scenario! So, send my cylinder to KOR to have it ported (and probably bored), add in a forged piston and get my head modified? Does KOR do the head mods too?

He sure does. I'm running a KOR redesigned head and I love it.

He sure does. I'm running a KOR redesigned head and I love it.

Okay, now I have even more questions.........

What head mod should I have done and what port profile. I have seen there are a bunch of different options. Also, which piston = Wiesco forged?

Approx cost for KOR to do the porting and head mods?

Thanks

All you have to do is call ken. Discuss your riding style and needs and he will make you more than happy. It's a simple as that.

Okay, now I have even more questions.........

What head mod should I have done and what port profile. I have seen there are a bunch of different options. Also, which piston = Wiesco forged?

Approx cost for KOR to do the porting and head mods?

Thanks

Like said, give Ken a call. He will be able to you what would fit your riding style. You can check his web site for prices.