1988 Yamaha Blaster Full Restoration

the rear shocks hose was mounted wrong so it wouldn't go on correctly and had to pay my local dealer to fix it and fill it back up with nitrogen

my rear elka is from a 400ex, it had that same problem,
and the hose is long enuf to mount on the quad behind me :eek:
I just looped the hose around some and got it in there.
someday I'll get them refreshed, grab a shorter hose and get it oriented the right direction.

I really like this build. My dad still has his blaster he bought new in 88. Kinda the same situation. Original factory plastics with the how to operate stickers. Over the years we have built that motor pretty good and the people that know it now respect blasters because of it. Only thing we haven't done to it was get porting. I could only imagine how mean it would be if we did.

I recently bought my own 2 blaster projects. I respect the original 88 but had to have my own 03+ blaster. But I like the idea of keeping the power a secret. That's kinda the plan I got with current build. I'm going with the +3 crank and 240 bb. It was all given to me for $200 including the 2 blasters. It's a sleeved stock cylinder so no one can tell it's got a +3 or a 240 bore unless they pop off the head. So the plan is to stomp some 400s at local fair races and stuff. They will never see it coming lol. But if they are smart they will see the vitos pipe, bigger carb, and different aorbox (but I'm thinking I'm gonna try and paint the aorbox to match the original color)

Last edited:
Reactions: Blaster8821
I was really wanting to get some of those stage 4 elkas for a grand while I could but I just couldn't justify spending a grand on shocks before I get my motor back from Ken and refigure my financial situation.

Let me know how you like them when you get to ride it.

Damn the world that made aftermarket suspension worth thousands!

I was really wanting to get some of those stage 4 elkas for a grand while I could but I just couldn't justify spending a grand on shocks before I get my motor back from Ken and refigure my financial situation.

Let me know how you like them when you get to ride it.

Damn the world that made aftermarket suspension worth thousands!
Sorry for being months late on this report but the elkas are unbelievable! you literally can hit any jump or bump and it soaks it right up. I had some bad landings with them and they saved me from going over the handlebars many times already. Highly recommended suspension!

Sorry for being months late on this report but the elkas are unbelievable! you literally can hit any jump or bump and it soaks it right up. I had some bad landings with them and they saved me from going over the handlebars many times already. Highly recommended suspension!
I'm beating myself up for not getting the stage 4s while they had them for a grand. This post really makes me hate myself more lol glad to hear yours are worth it.

Nice bike...I remember when I bought mine back in 88 same color...still have it wife rides it now:D