1988 Yamaha Blaster Full Restoration

Blaster8821

Sep 4, 2014
I'm in the process of restoring my dads Yamaha Blaster that he had bought new back in 1988. As of now it is entirely apart but will be posting pictures as the project progresses. Right now I am having Ken bore and port the cylinder, doing a high compression head mod and boring out the stock carburetor to a 27mm. I have a full FMF exhaust system, v force 4 reeds, k and n filter, I just put in EBC carbon fiber clutches and replaced all the case bolts with polished stainless steel hex heads. the frame, swing arm, springs bumper etc. are being powder coated to the same original colors from that make/model blaster
My goal with this project is to have a killer fast blaster that almost looks stock and looks like an 88 but will blow minds when the see it go by.

The Pictures below is the bottom end and the plastics. Yes, the plastics are the original plastics that came on the quad. They even have the original "how to operate" stickers still on the tank cover and fenders.

Attachments

• IMG_1856.JPG
    IMG_1856.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 867
  • IMG_1857.JPG
    IMG_1857.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 435
  • IMG_1858.JPG
    IMG_1858.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 540
  • IMG_1859.JPG
    IMG_1859.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 398
Reactions: WMBlast63
Nice and clean Blasty.. I Like the sleeper Idea, you will be very happy with the porting and head mod. You should sneak an aftermarket expansion chamber in there and paint it black like the stock one. Most people wont even know the difference with looks and an after market pipe will really wake that thing up after the porting and all..

Nice and clean Blasty.. I Like the sleeper Idea, you will be very happy with the porting and head mod. You should sneak an aftermarket expansion chamber in there and paint it black like the stock one. Most people wont even know the difference with looks and an after market pipe will really wake that thing up after the porting and all..
I have the FMF fatty pipe and turbine core II silencer for it, put it on last year with a stock motor but I felt didn't do much but was told it makes a big difference when you port the engine so that's what I did. I also have v force 4 reeds for it.

I see snow on them tires ....ride report ?

Haha well I haven't shoveled the driveway and had to push it back into the garage so I haven't fired it up yet. :( The only things that needs to be put on is the chain and grab bar then its finished.
Right now the average temp. is 17 degrees and Ken told me not to start the motor until it warms up some.

The only reason why I bought the Elkas was because they were under $1000. I was just going to suck it up and use the stock suspension but after I saw they were only $800 I couldn't help but buy them. I cant wait to see how they perform! the only issue I had when I got them was the rear shocks hose was mounted wrong so it wouldn't go on correctly and had to pay my local dealer to fix it and fill it back up with nitrogen.

You are going to love how it rides now. The bike looks really clean, nice job.