03+ vs 02- steering stems

dksix

Apr 16, 2012
North East Tennessee
Are the steering stems from the 03+ the same as earlier stems? I'm selling one and have both. It would be easier to take it from my 04 chassis but it's going to someone who has a pre 02 frame, just want to make sure I'm sending him one he can use.

The stems mount up the same and will work.The difference in the stems is the 88-02 has 4 tapped holes built into the head of the stem for the 88-02 headlight.The 03-06 stems do not have these mounting points as the 03-06 use a headlight under the hood. I would think if he is going torun a headlight he would need the 88-02 stem.Both will work and function the same just the headlight mounting is different.Hope this helps.

Thanks DS, that's the information I needed. The 04 is easier for me to get off, since he's also buying my 04 hood and headlight, the 04 should be the better one for him.

The stems mount up the same and will work.The difference in the stems is the 88-02 has 4 tapped holes built into the head of the stem for the 88-02 headlight.The 03-06 stems do not have these mounting points as the 03-06 use a headlight under the hood. I would think if he is going torun a headlight he would need the 88-02 stem.Both will work and function the same just the headlight mounting is different.Hope this helps.

I knew the pre 03 had the headlight mounting holes but wasn't sure if they deleted them on the 03 up stems.

Thanks DS, that's the information I needed. The 04 is easier for me to get off, since he's also buying my 04 hood and headlight, the 04 should be the better one for him.

Glad to help!!If he is buying the hood and light then the 03-06 would be a good choice.It looks better imo.

I knew the pre 03 had the headlight mounting holes but wasn't sure if they deleted them on the 03 up stems.
Yeah they deleted them on the 03-06 stems.Other than that everything stayed the same.