03 raptor 660 question

Quadman1

Mar 29, 2013
Pa
Found a guy selling his 660. It's an 03 and he says when you try to start it, it's moving forward like its in gear. He holds the clutch in and it still happens. And when in neutral it does it also. Is the cltuch shot? He says trans is shot but I'm thinking clutch. Any ideas?

Found a guy selling his 660. It's an 03 and he says when you try to start it, it's moving forward like its in gear. He holds the clutch in and it still happens. And when in neutral it does it also. Is the cltuch shot? He says trans is shot but I'm thinking clutch. Any ideas?

more likely clutch cable, out of adjustment or sticking plates due to dirty fluid
clutch plates shot would still disengage but slip,
but watch some of those early years 660's they're known for bad trannies, not sure what years, google it.

neutral huh? ive never owned one but yes they have trans problems,also problem with the parking break thing,clutch basket is probably in real good condition too:)

The 01 trannys are known to be bad. The 02 are better but 03 and up are the best. I really don't think the guy knows quads because he said he dosnt know it has neutral? It's only 30 mins from me so it's worth a look tomorrow. I'm thinking clutch plates are bad because he only started it in gear.

Ask him to try starting it. Watch him change the gears. If he goes from first into second, i wouldnt tell him :p

Dont show/tell him how to get it in neutral is he cant lol

The 01 trannys are bad. Sounds like a clutch cable issue like awk said. Never had that problem with mine. You will like it a lot but if its beat up i would stay away from it.!

Well we will see tonight. He has the title and it's only $600 so I can part out and make a lil something if need be. He said it needs rear tires but that's no biggie.

I know that the starter clutches are known to go bad on these, is there a way to tell? Would it still crank or?

if the one way starter gear is bad, the starter will just spin and wont engage. that was a huge problem with raptors. they redesigned it later, but unsure what year.

Well talk about junk! The raptor is junk! No key, no battery, plastics are cracked, tires are beyond bald, no clutch at all plus a lot more!

I offered him $100 lol. He took the battery out so i couldnt hear it! Leaking fluid from suspension, completly rusted out. I told him to leave it on the truck as soon as i saw it

He just texted me saying thanks for wasting his time lmao. I told him my dad is a retired philly cop and he's telling his buddies to look out for his stolen quads. (He has 14) and he couldn't even respond lol.