Blaster for Raptor

BlasterAdam

Apr 13, 2021
Okay, so I completely rebuilt my 2001 blaster from top to bottom- new clutch, cases, brand new wiseco top end, and painted everything. It runs and looks mint and posted it for $2200 because these are hot commodities where I am. So I have a guy who is offering to trade a 2001 Yamaha Raptor 660 which needs a new head gasket and carb clean but he says and showed me it runs, idles, and rides well. He sounds fine and offered to come to me. What do you guys think? I mean its an older raptor and needs some work, does 2,000 sound right? I'm obviously gonna ride and check it over before the trade, just need some advice. Also, is a raptor head gasket a tough job?

P.S. - I went on raptor forum and posted something like this but no response- the blaster community seems to be a bit better haha

I would not make that trade

The early raptors had a tranny problem. I also think that all 660 had an oiling problem, search “660 oil mod”
Might also search if they have a head gasket problem. If I were having to do a gasket I’d replace cam chain and guides while I had it torn apart.
Do a standard inspection, suspension, driveline, tires, compression test, overall condition.
Just remember 4pokes cost at least twice as much to fix.

I wouldn't do it. It could lead to big money.
4 strokes get expensive fast..
Alot of people in my area try to trade non running bikes for one that does run. So your left with the problem and they are riding.jmo