03+ carrier options

D-LASH

Jul 10, 2014
After searching and failing to find an 03+ rear carrier, I'm beginning to wonder what my options are. The carrier is pretty much toast. Bearings and seals melted and ground into the walls. I tried to heat it up and remove some material, but it's not going too great. So, is it possible to mount the 06 brake set up onto the 98-02 rear carrier? That seems to be the only 1 I can find for a reasonable price($70+/-) The 03+ setup is looking like $200+/- ... just a hair more($100) that I was hoping to spend on the "budget bike".

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 244
Thanks for the encouragement dirt... Any suggestions on best/easiest/fastest method?

Pop the seal out. Soak the outer race with some PB Blaster or some kind of penetrating oil. Sometimes heating the carrier helps also. I've had to cut them out with a dremel tool before. Its a delicate process, but it can be done.

whats the other side look like? Is the bearing still intact?

carrier.jpg

Pop the seal out. Soak the outer race with some PB Blaster or some kind of penetrating oil. Sometimes heating the carrier helps also. I've had to cut them out with a dremel tool before. Its a delicate process, but it can be done.

whats the other side look like? Is the bearing still intact?

Here's the other side

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    799.8 KB · Views: 229
The MIG welder option does work. The outer race will shrink and drop right out.

You will have to pluck the seals out first. The dremel method may work well here.

Please heed.

Never attach the ground clamp to the screw that tightens up the jaws of a vice as the guy did.
Arcing will occur (especially on a loosely tightened screw) and ruin the threads.

Whenever welding, always attach the ground clamp as close as possible, making sure that bearings and threaded components are not in the path of current flow.

Just imagine what the bearing surfaces of a ball race look like after having 130 amps passed through them.

/\ that
and also wear welding gloves not bare hands, then pick up a hot piece with a used rubber surgical glove !
the guy in the vid wasn't the sharpest tool in that shop by far

Wow! That's a mess. The 03-06 carriers are around. You just have to be patient and watch for one. I sold my extra one on here just a little while ago. They show up on ebay periodically. I looked just now and I only found this. There's enough extra goodies here that you could sell and get a lot of your money back. Of coarse, you can't see the condition of the carrier, so it's a bit of a gamble. The key to identifying the 03-06 carrier is that it has those 2 pipes welded on where the caliper mounts. Sometimes on ebay people don't know what year carrier they have and you can tell by the pics.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-YAMAHA...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27e7489fa6&vxp=mtr

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I've been using the caliper mount points as a ref. to differentiate the earlier version. Seems the mounting hole is almost centered on the older 1s, 03+ is more towards 1 side.
Also, in the middle of my leak down test, after fixing the leaky tester (that's important, lol) and discovered my jets were 32.5/230, does that sound right for fmf exhaust/bored 40 over?
Cleaned out some calcium out of the bowl too

Those are stock jets! Pilot should be fine. Need to know any mods to air box, what filter, premix or inject, elevation, temps. I'd say get a uni filter, outerwears cover, take the lid of and start around 300 and plug chop down

Alright, thanks. I'll have to double check the air filter, I don't think anything was done to the box, previous owner was pre mixing 24:1 I think, I may try to get the injector working again, not 100% sure yet, elevation is somewhere below 1500 feet (Piedmont NC area, about 40 min NE of Charlotte) humid summer temps 80-90+, cold winters (hopefully some snow to play in).

So, made some more progress, new bearings/seals greased/packed in w/sleeve, try to slide it on the axel to bolt everything tomorrow, and ERRT!! Another speed bump: she wouldn't slide into place like I was hoping.... Felt as if a literal bump was in the way. Didn't want to start slamming it in the dark, so I calmly and slowly cleaned up and called it a night.
Small victory: old races out. Now to figure out what's binding this sleeve to slide down the axel. It seemed to get stuck trying to pass the spline through the 2nd bearing (ugh!!)

(Edit)
Blues, thanks for the link btw, I just realized he's in NC (hopefully my neighbor and not my wife, haha)

possibly a rust ring formed on the axle itself where those old ratty bearings where riding

I'll second that. Clean that axle up well tomorrow in the daylight, and inspect the spacer. You'll find your problem, then be on to jetting.

yes to the spacer too, hopefully it can move around in there a little, and not jambed up crooked

I was able to remove the old bearings with a little help from my neighbor. We put a grinding tip to it, to where it was almost all the way through, then broke it free where it was thin enough w/a hammer & screw driver, worked it around and pryed it out. Cleaned it up with a quick sanding tip. Took it home, greased it and now I found a buldge on the axel. I'm going to take it back across the street to the brains of the operation and see if we can take it down enough for the bearing to slide over it. Also, I found that ebay seller was about 40 mins away, and would discount the axel/brake set up if I picked it up. I took a picture to show the "buldge", it's the band right past the spline

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    867.5 KB · Views: 219
Reactions: Awk08
If your splines are as bad as I think they are, you should quit screwing around and go check out that complete setup and be done with it. If your axle splines are bad, your sprocket hub and brake hub are probably bad too.