What type of home heating do you prefer?

tbrooks

Sep 24, 2013
NC mtns
I decide to try a thread on this to get a little more response. I know I post too much off topic stuff lol, but this is the only forum I've ever liked and I trust your opinions. So I was gonna use existing floor furnaces in my new house, to save costs, but after my daughter burned herself today, I've pretty much kicked that to the curb. So where to go from here? It will be well insulated and sealed. Our winter temps are normally in the 20's for lows. The existing 900 sq ft only has 30" crawlspace so radiant floor would be a pain to install underneath. I have access to a propane furnace, but I'm not sure on its size. My budget is pretty much none existent, or at least it will be after well, septic, and drying in the addition. I've got to keep all costs down as much as I can. So what would you use?

Oh and I won't go wood stove again, wouldn't work with this house anyway. Would love a wood boiler, but thats outta my range

What all do you have access too? Natural gas? A gas fired boiler would be nice, or just a simple gas forced air system. Plus then you would have ducts and returns for a central a/c unit.

Home heating oil sucks, The furnaces are a pain to maintain, and you are a slave to OPEC all winter. That's why I went this route:

My house is 1000 sqft upstairs, and 1000 sqft downstairs. I heat it all winter with a pellet stove, and a 4500w 220v recessed mount wall heater. The wall heater takes care of the bedroom that the pellet stove cant warm up.
Its been working well for me the last 4 years. I burn about 4 tons of pellets a winter, and the electric heater isn't really noticable on my bill.

I have never heard of natural gas being used around here. Most have wood, elec, or propane. I don't think there is really a source around here for pellets either, but I'm not sure. I wouldn't wanna use oil either, it is one of the least efficient ways to heat. I am leaning more towards propane something, that way if the power is out, if I do need elec for the heat system it won't take much. I already want a propane tankless hw heater so if I went with a larger model I could use it for heat too. I could use it for radiant or maybe use it like a boiler with a heat exchanger and forced air. I'm not sure how well these work though

Obviously central air is going to cost the most and if your on a budget thats kind of ruled out. If you have access to natural gas, a freestanding direct vent natural gas stove is a great simple option, could also run off of propane if natural gas is not available. Just make sure to get one with a blower to make sure you can push the heat out.

this all i got.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Environmen...ur-home-Four-fuels-compared/Heating-oil-2-526

Fuel_Types_Table.png

I currently have an unvented propane fireplace w/blower that works well, that with a small unvented wall heater does good on this 900 sq ft house, but the bedrooms are a couple degrees cooler. I do keep a window cracked in both rooms with the heaters and that bugs me lol, but a necessity with unvented. We always buy $1000 in propane in the summer to lock in the price which helps. I don't see a single propane stove heating the rooms though. Just looked around online and nat gas is not available. I can't find anything about where to buy pellets or local costs. No matter what I use I believe I will need a circulation system with 1200 sq ft on a single floor with 4 bedrooms.

You can do better than that speedy lol. That website and graph have conflicting info lol. Seems as though I am pushing myself to propane though, its just a matter of how to heat a 4 bedroom well with it. My dream home, I want a wood boiler, but this is not my dream home, and I don't have the $, and by then they will be outlawed lol.

it was a quick search.
whith a lot of mis leading info lol
insulate that house up good keep colder in summer/hotter in winter.

insulate:)

you know way more about this then me just wanted to share the comparison of costs:)

almost like opening all the windows then crankin some oil heat lol.

your real question i dont know..just know insulate and prices:)

Around here wood pellets are sold at farm stores and the feed stores, The home depot and lowes sell pellets too.

almost like opening all the windows then crankin some oil heat lol.

your real question i dont know..just know insulate and prices:)
When I had a wood stove, my front door was open most the winter, and it was 85 in my living room while I froze my a$$ of in my bedroom with a space heater lol.
Well you get an a for effort speedy :) I'm an insulation freak. Thats why I built my paint shed with 2x6 walls and want my dream home to have 2x8 walls:D. I have to be careful not to make things too sealed that I have to add ventilation

Reactions: speedyslyder
My lowes has 40lb pellet bags for $5 is that about the norm? I'll have to call to check local feed stores. How long would a 40lb bag last?

I possibly have a propane furnace for central, but it seems that most people complain about the cost of them

When i was checking into heating it was the initial cost of the system that turned me away.
If you have a hookup on the furnace than that would save alot of money right off the bat.

i have oil heat/with a furnace being cleaned once a year/with heaters run along the walls.
2 different thermostats 1 down stairs 1 up stairs..:D

When i was checking into heating it was the initial cost of the system that turned me away.
If you have a hookup on the furnace than that would save alot of money right off the bat.
I took it out of a off the grid (nice) cabin, at the owners request. I'm not sure the size on it, but his cabin was only about 7-800sqft.
dirty said he got 2000 sg ft and burned 4 tons?:)
And I'm about 1200 sq ft and warmer temps so maybe 2.5-3 tons, that would be uhhhhhhhhh.... we'll call it $700 or so, not bad at all.