To Clutch Or Not To Clutch? That Is The Question

lol im always pretty retarted but i hate clutching while comming hard around cornrers

word, dont stress stryder, remember he is only 15, he will figure out when he screws up his shifter cam and everything else lol

some of the older blaster's clutch's are hard to pull. i have an 02, and if you do a lot of clutchin your arm gets tired. when i got my 04 tho, it was so much easier. can clutch all day now.

I dont use mine either. But, i know i should. And honestly, i want to, but my clutch is SOO hard to pull its retarded.

I mean, im no girly man at all. I can pull it in fine, but it seems so stiff that it almost feels like im going to break the cable.

Even my buddies got on and said, man, whats up with your clutch lever?

So i just use it for 1st and let off the gas when i shift. if you do it quick enough, they mesh just fine. I can shift my car without using the clutch too. No grinding at all. Just have to know right when to shift after letting off the throttle so they sync at the right time.

However. I would suggest you use your clutch.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a hydro clutch mod?

ya the older clutches are rough, I got used to it, but my cable snapped from stress and poor condition

gotta get one from Ebay, the one with the brand name, "Motion Pro"

Guys, guys, guys. Quads and dirtbikes have constant mesh transmissions. As long as you're matching your rpms and don't have a heavy load on the gears when you shift, you never have to touch the clutch. It's best to use it for downshifting, but even that's unnecessary if you know how to do it right. The only way you'll bend a shift fork is if you try to force it into gear. If you pull up on the pedal lightly and it doesn't want to go into the next gear you have too much load on the gears to shift it safely.

I rarely use my clutch at all because I have heavy duty springs and pulling it is a biotch when you're doing it all day. Been riding like this for 3 years and my transmission is still in perfect working order.

If you get good at matching rpms you can even do this in cars and trucks. It's a lot trickier to get it right though without a constant mesh transmission.

All that does is slowly grind away at your gears. Its better to clutch like it was meant to. Why else would a clutch even exist.

All that does is slowly grind away at your gears. Its better to clutch like it was meant to. Why else would a clutch even exist.

Umm, you're not really proving a point by asking why else would the clutch exist. I'm not saying don't use the clutch at all. If you go straight from neutral to 1st without the clutch you're just setting yourself up for failure. But if you take notice at any of the pro mx riders, quad or bike, they don't use the clutch to shift. The only times they use the clutch are when they're feathering it through the corners and when they're coming off the line.

I know a guy that races in pro-level events all the time. Obviously he doesn't use the clutch when he shifts either. I was down in his shop when he was rebuilding the engine on his 250r, and I got a look at the transmission. He'd been racing that thing himself for 6 years to that point, and even before he owned it, it had been raced since it was brand new. That transmission couldn't have looked better, and he never replaced a piece on it.

Now, i'm not saying nobody should use the clutch when they shift. If you feel better that way go for it. But when you do it right it does shave a few hairs off your lap times and does no harm to the quad. And even if you're not doing it perfectly every time, and the gears do clunk a little before they engage, it's still not going to grenade the trans. It'd take a lot to actually cause any noticable wear. Hardened steel gears are surprisingly strong...

haha..
this is kind of funny.
i read the first of this thread before i went riding yesterday and the last thing i read was where someone said you dont have to use your clutch.

but i went riding yesterday...
not using my clutch when shifting gears
and i blew my motor

i havent taken it completely apart yet, but im pretty sure what happened is that a shard of a gear in my tranny ran up into my motor and caused it to blow.

cuz i wasnt riding it hard. i was pretty much idling in 4th gear down some dirt roads and it just blew..

so from now on, IM USING MY CLUTCH.
i mean.. its there isnt it? why not use it?

define blew....if your top end fried that has nothing to do with using or not using the clutch. the clutch is the connector between the crank and transmission. so if you broke a gear you could seize your trans however not break your top end. and for a gear to break off and go through a case into your top end is fairly hard to do