To Clutch Or Not To Clutch? That Is The Question

ok then y would they put the clutch there if it wasnt needed im not tryin to start n argument either im just sayin theres the clutch for a reason if it wasnt needed it wouldnt be there u kno

I asked my Yamaha mechanic who is top notch, extremely seasoned veteran mechanic, works only on Yamaha stuff, if you could shift without using the clutch. He's a very conservative type - heavy into maintainance and doing everything just perfect etc ect. Shocked the hell out of me when he said "why use the clutch". He went on to say what others have said - racers aren't using a clutch - they dont have time!! Another point he brought up was what happens when you crash and mangle or break your lever - how do you get out of the woods ?? - u just shift w/o the clutch.

As for me - Im used to my clutch - doesnt seem natural to me not to use it - but I feel good knowing that I dont necessarily have to... personal preference.....

ok then y would they put the clutch there if it wasnt needed im not tryin to start n argument either im just sayin theres the clutch for a reason if it wasnt needed it wouldnt be there u kno

At no time did anybody say that the clutch has no purpose. You still need your clutch a lot, just not for upshifting under the right conditions. If you try to pull out from a stop without a clutch you're gonna f*ck sh*t up, same as downshifting without a clutch, that'll throw pieces of gears all over.

good point and how much do these things cost cause i might be interested in one if they arent too expensive

The Dynatek CDI's have this feature, at least some of them do. I'm not sure if the one available for the blaster has this (or if there even is one for the blaster to begin with) but they run about $350 for the programmable version which I think is what you would need, or about $250 for the non-programmable, which i'm guessing doesn't have this feature since it is rpm-dependent and needs to be programmed to work. Check out Dynatek FS CDI to look into it more.

Edit: I just checked and it doesn't look like they even make one for a blaster.

i learned how to ride using the clutch however my dad doesnt use it when he rides my blaster, guess its all about personal preference. one thing i dont get is when you shift without the clutch do you let off the throttle and shift like usual or do you keep it going so you dont lose speed from the motor slowing down?

Beating a dead horse I think, but from all the research Ive done, our transmissions are completely different than whats in a car. They ARE constant mesh trannies, and personally my shifter doesnt feel ANY different if I have my clutch in, or not. I NEVER shift with a clutch, I use it to start, stop, and negotiate tough terrain. People I know that have been riding for YEARS never use theirs. Not even for downshifts.

So for me, Ill continue to NOT use my clutch. I figure it isnt hurting the tranny any more than using it, and its saving me money because I dont have to change it as often.

Beating a dead horse I think, but from all the research Ive done, our transmissions are completely different than whats in a car. They ARE constant mesh trannies, and personally my shifter doesnt feel ANY different if I have my clutch in, or not. I NEVER shift with a clutch, I use it to start, stop, and negotiate tough terrain. People I know that have been riding for YEARS never use theirs. Not even for downshifts.

So for me, Ill continue to NOT use my clutch. I figure it isnt hurting the tranny any more than using it, and its saving me money because I dont have to change it as often.

yeah, I never realized how many do not use the clutch...

I use it, just because thats what I am used to...

i ride bumpy ass trails and using the clutch is almost impossible.. for a while i was using it but then my boy asked if i used it. i said yea. he said he never does. i said doesnt it fk it up? he said no. he says u'll be alot less fatigue NOT using the clutch. so i did and stopped using it when im on heavy terrain.. feels alot better. as long as u dont gas it while shifting ppl shouldnt have a problem

I use it only when I'm going slow. If I'm burning through gears, no. Trail riding, no. Hill climbing, not only no... hell no.

Pretty much starting and stopping I use it. I agree, I feel absolutely no difference if I pull it in or not.

You should always use your clutch when shifting. It can damage your quad if you don't use the clutch a lot. Once you get used to it you just do it automatically.

I disgree. I kno ppl that ride motocross and never use it only from a dead stop and stopping. Also depends in ur style of riding and how u ride. Ppl I kno had their bikes all their lives never fried a clutch not using it other than from nornal wear. But it all depends on how u ride it and shift. Yes if u don't kno how to shift without using the clutch u could damage it OR wear it out a lot faster. Similar to power shifting