Stock vs DG, my results

mlrblaster

Dec 16, 2011
Smyrna Tn
A few days ago I asked if the DG pipe I already had removed from a blaster I am working on, would be worth installing on my other blaster(stock). Based on the replys I changed it out this afternoon. The only changes that I made was to remove the factory exhaust and install the DG pipe and silencer. There was of course a huge difference in the weight. I didn't weigh them but I would guess that it shaved at least 4 or 5 pounds. My jetting in the carb is factory.The airbox lid is on. The last plug chop I did with the factory pipe showed a darker brown color. It ran fine like that but looked a bit rich to me. After letting it warm up with the DG I rode it around a bit and did another plug chop. The plug was a nice tan color. Based on the plugs the I looked at on the forum the other night that were posted, I was just a bit darker than those. Since it did not look lean to me I proceeded to ride for awhile to see if I could see any performance changes. It felt more crisp, probably from leaning out just a bit, and felt like it did gain some power. I may have been able to get the same results by rejetting the carb since it was a bit rich before, so the power difference might not be as accurate as I'd like. The weight is for sure a change for the better. If you are on a tight budget and could get one really cheap, I think that it would be ok for a stock motor. As I already had this one it didn't cost me anything to try it.
Thanks again for the input. I hope this helps anyone that has the same question I had about a DG pipe.

Last edited:
good info! Not real solid evidence because you just "felt" the power increase, but good info nevertheless

Sounds like it did make a little improvement because of the lighter weight and the lighter plug. The increase may only be small and still not worth the investment in buying one. Could be a small upgrade if you can find a used one real cheap.

It depends where you want your power, and where you may ride, and how much money you have.

Pipes are made for different applications.

what is the best exaust for the money im thinkn of gettn rid of my dg and buying somthing better

Toomey is the best all around pipe for stock to mild builds. But I would just start looking in the for sale section until I find a decent pipe less than $150 bucks. Like right now there is a FMF full system for $135.