new carb advice?

cuzzinpaulie

Aug 25, 2010
maine
i need a new carb. what carb should i get with my mods? i do mostly trail riding. also what options do i have for new boots? seen a new intake boot for $60 on ebay, ouch!!! what are my options on the filter side boot? i was thinking 34mm carb but thats just a guess. would like to get some of your opinions on carb brand and size. thanks

A 34 should do nice with a BBK. There's not much you can do but get a larger reed boot and a CFM box. You could rig up something on the air box side but it will look like crap and perform about the same.

would i lose bottom end power with a 34mm ? if so how big can i go before really losing power in the bottom end. how big can i go before having to change the boots? top end speed is not a priority.

You can squeeze a 30mm carb into a stock boot by opening up the i.d. of the boot a bit.If your 240 is ported than a 34-35mm would be a good choice.If no porting a 30mm would be a better choice.

dang dude does your sig letters have to be so big? they give me a headache... and like ^^^^ cfm air box if you got $ to spend imo its worth it much easier to upgrade to a larger carb and why get a larger carb if your stock boot only allows so much air flow... so cfm air box and carb like stated.... you should be happy with that... that's my next upgrade... cfm air box should be getting here soon and im stuck on carb issue as well...

i just ordered a Keihin 33mm PWK carb. now i need to figure out what jets ill need to tune. what size should i start with? needle? main? pilot?

got the new carb and im still waiting on the new boot. the carb came with a 55 pilot and a 162 main jet. is this ok to start with?

got the new carb and im still waiting on the new boot. the carb came with a 55 pilot and a 162 main jet. is this ok to start with?

Yes. That should be pretty close.i would guess you will end up with a 52 or 55 pilot and 155-160 main. Order a cel and dgh needle.

Keep us posted I have been running the stock carb on bbk I am wanting an upgrade just not sure which carb to get

well heres an update. tried getting the stock air boot to stretch over the carb all day.X( could'nt get it to work. so i cut the boot and im gonna try and use 2 inch pvc and a rubber 2 inch boot. i should have not been so cheap and ordered the cfm box like the other guy said. if you got the money just buy carb,intake boot,and cfm box. learn from my mistake. ill keep ya posted

got the carb installed and had to move needle to second position.now it idles fine and has a pretty good response "maby a tad rich" until i try opening it up then it just sputters like its really rich. looks like im gonna need to come down with the main jet. wish i had some.