Morels

I went out tonight and found a flush of them in the woods all near poplar trees. I only picked a few big ones, and a few that had suffered some wind burn. I'm letting the rest get mature, I'll pick them Tuesday. The last picture I thought would be funny!
image.jpg
image (1).jpg
image_1.jpg
0504141855.jpg
image (2).jpg
0504141902.jpg

nice fred,
i'd have thawed out a pack of deer steaks to go with them :)

I'm down. I'm off call too so it work out good. There are birds everywhere too. A few nice longbeards.

We can ride too if you want?

pm sent with contact info, holler at me later in the week :)
we had birds going saturday

I hunt them in northern indiana also. And have been hunting them recently in the Netherlands. They have a good climate and dirt to grow them here. We found 38 last weekend. :)

Been out the past 4 days and haven't seen 1.. I must be looking in the wrong spots or something.. ??? Next place to look is an old apple orchard this weekend since I am in apple country..

Hey , thanx for the link.. I was just reading on the great morel on identifying trees and such.. I don't think they have come up here yet.?. Ounce they do and if I find any (fingers crossed) I will post some pics.. Any tips???

Best tip is befriend an older guy that had been doing it for years. I had my grandpap show me some, and another older fella that I'd go with. They both are gone now, but I learned a lot.

Look for dead or dying elms. Not all of them are going to have morels by them. But it raises your chances. Look for green healthy looking areas in the woods, areas with umbrella plants are a good sign as they like the same type of soil moisture. The other thing they preached to me was look on hills and places that take morning sun....the ground warns up there first. And the most important....when in doubt, throw it out. If your not sure, it's not worth getting sick or dying over. Old Louie told me all mushrooms are edible... Sometimes just once!

Hope that helps ya