How big is too big for a blaster?

wow u could spend 3 grand on a used "raptor"....or 3 grand on a bad ass banshee or a good yfz......and yes i have rode a "raptor"....dont really care for them...there not as good of a quad that everyone builds them up to be...i out ran my neibors 660 with my old tri z 250 that had a dg pipe...and that 3wheeler wasent anythign to brag about....but thats my opinion.....at silver lake last year i seen a 700R with the whole stage 5 trinity set up on it get out ran on a drag strip and throughout the dunes by a piped and camed yfz....now tell me theres not something wrong there? but u guys are intitled to opinions just like everyone else....but right not i dont think anything will change my views on "raptors"

Im a YFZ450 fan myself... Feels like your on a dirtbike with 4 wheels. Raptors do seem to be way overrated... at least the 660's.. im sure the 700 is better beeing fuel injected.

Its the people that think their 660 raptor can beat my 636 Kawa because they have a bigger engine that piss me off lol

wow u could spend 3 grand on a used "raptor"....or 3 grand on a bad ass banshee or a good yfz......and yes i have rode a "raptor"....dont really care for them...there not as good of a quad that everyone builds them up to be...i out ran my neibors 660 with my old tri z 250 that had a dg pipe...and that 3wheeler wasent anythign to brag about....but thats my opinion.....at silver lake last year i seen a 700R with the whole stage 5 trinity set up on it get out ran on a drag strip and throughout the dunes by a piped and camed yfz....now tell me theres not something wrong there? but u guys are intitled to opinions just like everyone else....but right not i dont think anything will change my views on "raptors"

That's a load of crap. Stock 700's will walk away from stock 450's. There's no way one with a ton of mods will lose to a yfz with minor stuff.

I really doubt a tri-z could even touch a 660 either. But of course everything depends on rider. Stick a moron on a modded to the brim yfz, and stick a pro rider on a honda recon. Betcha the pro rider wins. Does that mean the recon is faster than a modded yfz? Don't think so. Performance don't mean nothin if you don't know how to put it to the ground.

well then thats y people buy raptors because the cant ride to save their life....adn a raptor with the trinity stage 5 setup on it vs. a piped adn cammed yfz.....yeah yfz won...i seen it with my own eyes....and how about this....u get a 660 adn i'll get that tri-z back from the guy i sold it to and we'll run em......adn just a question what is it with u getting all defensive about raptors?....do u have one?

Raptors are overhyped in my opinion. They are too tall and narrow. They have hardly any power for being a 660-700.

They are a great quad for "fat jim" (no offense to anyone named jim) that wants to ride with the sport quad riders but hes set a little heavy.

well then thats y people buy raptors because the cant ride to save their life....adn a raptor with the trinity stage 5 setup on it vs. a piped adn cammed yfz.....yeah yfz won...i seen it with my own eyes....and how about this....u get a 660 adn i'll get that tri-z back from the guy i sold it to and we'll run em......adn just a question what is it with u getting all defensive about raptors?....do u have one?

No, i just get a little bothered when I hear off the wall comments like these. There's no way a pipe and cammed yfz is faster than a raptor modded all-out like that. I don't know exactly what is in a trinity stage 5 setup, but it's gotta be a hell of a lot more than the 40 horsepower that yfz is going to be putting out. You can't really just start out by saying that raptors suck, because they're in no way designed for the same type of riding that 450's and the banshee were designed for. Raptors have that big torquey engine because it's that low end torque that pulls you through the trails. Low-torque, high revving engines like the yfz and banshee aren't what you would call the ideal trail setup. That doesn't mean you can't go fast in the trails wit them, you just have to work a lot harder to keep the rpms up and work the clutch to do the same thing you can do with the raptor just lugging it around.

No, i just get a little bothered when I hear off the wall comments like these. There's no way a pipe and cammed yfz is faster than a raptor modded all-out like that. I don't know exactly what is in a trinity stage 5 setup, but it's gotta be a hell of a lot more than the 40 horsepower that yfz is going to be putting out. You can't really just start out by saying that raptors suck, because they're in no way designed for the same type of riding that 450's and the banshee were designed for. Raptors have that big torquey engine because it's that low end torque that pulls you through the trails. Low-torque, high revving engines like the yfz and banshee aren't what you would call the ideal trail setup. That doesn't mean you can't go fast in the trails wit them, you just have to work a lot harder to keep the rpms up and work the clutch to do the same thing you can do with the raptor just lugging it around.

idc if u beleve it or not becaue i seen it happen....and they are intended for lazier people.....like a lot of bigger people.....how often do u see someone under 200lbs on a raptor?....and banshees and yfz's might not be the ideal set up for trails according to dirt wheels.....but who wants a quad that u can just leave it in 2nd and go?......theres not fun in that...hell its hard for me to keep my blaster in the rpms but its a hell of a lot funner then riding a big bulky 700.....but tahts my opinion

this is hawkeyes older, much bigger brother (6'5" 290lbs). i have friends that owned raptor 660's, and one that currently owns a 700r. the 660's are not impressive what so ever. very top heavy and are very laggy off the line, not to mention the serious lack of power for being a 660.
my best friend owns the yfz that hawkeye speaks of on here. it's cammed, jetted, has a uni air filter and a slip on hmf silencer. the trinity 700r that was at silver lake sand dunes, it had the complete trintiy intake, cammed, ported, and piped. we watched the guy race for about a hour before we got on the strip. he was spanking anything that lined up with him. the yfz vs. the 700r had the same outcome everytime... the yfz by 2 full lengths every time.

YAMARIDER i have to honestly say that you know everything there is to know about quads since you own the fastest one on the market, but i know absolutely nothing about quads, i only built hawkeyes blaster, my blue shee, modded that yfz, and worked on numorous other in my time.

P.S. by the way my shee walks all over the yfz in the dunes and in the TRAILS.

whatever everbody has their own opinions about each quad. i personally do not like the kawasaki or polaris. kawasaki atvs seem not to be shifting right. polaris atvs are built cheap. i'm ok with honda because i used to have a 250ex and it was a beast!

Last edited:
this is hawkeyes older, much bigger brother (6'5" 290lbs). i have friends that owned raptor 660's, and one that currently owns a 700r. the 660's are not impressive what so ever. very top heavy and are very laggy off the line, not to mention the serious lack of power for being a 660.
my best friend owns the yfz that hawkeye speaks of on here. it's cammed, jetted, has a uni air filter and a slip on hmf silencer. the trinity 700r that was at silver lake sand dunes, it had the complete trintiy intake, cammed, ported, and piped. we watched the guy race for about a hour before we got on the strip. he was spanking anything that lined up with him. the yfz vs. the 700r had the same outcome everytime... the yfz by 2 full lengths every time.

YAMARIDER i have to honestly say that you know everything there is to know about quads since you own the fastest one on the market, but i know absolutely nothing about quads, i only built hawkeyes blaster, my blue shee, modded that yfz, and worked on numorous other in my time.

P.S. by the way my shee walks all over the yfz in the dunes and in the TRAILS.

Alright, that's a little more believable then. Being that Trinity calls this a STAGE 5 kit, I was assuming there was a little bit more to it than just those couple things. I was figuring that to be bored, stroked, cammed, ported, basically everything available for it. Guess it just sounds like it should be fast.

But what's this bullshit starting personal attacks now? This doesn't have anything to do with what I ride. So why should what I ride have anything to do with what I know?

But if you think that owning the fastest quad on the market is all that matters, you've got a lot to learn. Where I ride, the guys with the fast bikes don't even attempt most of the stuff I do because they're scared all the rocks are going to scratch their brand new immaculate bling bling machines. I built my machine for what I ride, and what I like. Not to impress you dune riders. My riding involves skill, not just pinning the throttle in a straight line in a big sandbox and seeing who's the quickest. Seems like i'd get bored of that real quick.

my blaster and his shee...for the mods we have their great all around....and its pretty easy to keep them up in the rpms in the trails....and knowing being able to do that...well u could ride anything.....and we visit silver lake ("sand box") usually twice a year.....other then that were at attica...if uve ever heard of that

Never heard of attica. What kind of riding is it?

But high-revving machines like 450's and 2 strokes just don't make it where we ride, at least not the more advanced sections of it. My cousin tried it once on his lt250r and the clutch was gone by the end of the day just in the easier parts of it. You need low-revving torque to do the kind of riding I do the most. It's not like all I do is technical trails, mudding, and rock crawling though, I keep up with most of the 450 guys on the mx tracks at rausch creek because i'm not scared of my bike and I can push it to it's limits. I just have to have my torque. I weigh 180, my buddy weighs 200, and his eiger 4x4 with 28's probably weighs about 650lbs. My warrior has pulled all that weight through rough trails for miles without breaking too much of a sweat. Let's see a 2 stroke do THAT lol.

This thread is getting really off-topic now, let's end this before it gets too out of hand.

Last edited:
I can go anywhere with my shee that the 4x4 guys can go on there tanks. As long as the water isnt over my airbox. Logs, mud, trees, you name it.

http://www.badlandsoffroad.com/....theres one of the places we ride....700 acres of everything.....and yes 2 strokes can do anything a 4 stroke can...who cares if u bike didnt break much of a sweat.....that just means u werent pushing it...which is understandable....not a lot of peole like to push it.....(gets kinda scarey)....and well for the cluch on ur buddies.....could have been a # of things....using it more then needed, might have been almost gone, or it could be because its an LT....idk....but i bet i could do anything on my blaster that u could do on ur warrior...

http://www.badlandsoffroad.com/....theres one of the places we ride....700 acres of everything.....and yes 2 strokes can do anything a 4 stroke can...who cares if u bike didnt break much of a sweat.....that just means u werent pushing it...which is understandable....not a lot of peole like to push it.....(gets kinda scarey)....and well for the cluch on ur buddies.....could have been a # of things....using it more then needed, might have been almost gone, or it could be because its an LT....idk....but i bet i could do anything on my blaster that u could do on ur warrior...

Hmm... still never saw a blaster tow 1,000 lbs through the woods lol. If I ever see a 2 stroke sport quad doing that (other than a scrambler) i'll eat my words.

And oh yeah, I do push it. Sometimes a little too far.

That months-old barnett clutch in the lt250r burned up because he had to keep the rpms up and feather the clutch all day. He wasn't really using it more than needed, because if he would (and he did) try to leave the clutch engaged as much as possible, and keep rolling over everything in 1st gear like I did, he was stalling out all over the place. The mix of high-rpm power and tall gearing doesn't work for rock crawling.

a blaster towing a 100 pounds........I'VE DONE IT....my grandpa has a golf cart and he ran the batteries dead....so i towed him and my grandma back home....so a golf cart with 8 batteries 200lb man and 150lb woman?......thats dang near 1000 pounds....wasent througt the woods.....but it still did it...and about the rpm's i bet i have to keep my rpm's higher then that LT....just for the simple fact that most of the things done to mine r topend related....and u dont have to feather the clutch...if ur a real good rider u can keep it in the rpm's with out feathering the clutch...dosent matter what ur doing....j/w but did u check out that website i put up there?....if for some reason ur in indiana u need to hit that place up because its the' most technical place for a few states.....

Did you tear the golf course up?
When you looked back to check up on your grandparents, were their faces dirty, and more importantly, were they still on the kart? :lol: :)

hahaha..no they got the golf cart so they could ride in their goat pen...(5acres).....and it died in the middle of the field......hahaha....yeah i was nice....so i didnt spray them....there in there late 60's...cant handle that much excitement

Yeah, I looked at the site quick. As far as technical riding, I think Paragon AP puts that place to shame. 5,500 acres, 3 mountains on the property, the deep valley in the middle, huge boulders and all kinds of stuff everywhere. It's mostly abandoned coal mines, so that left behind some real interesting formations, pits, and the such. It looks like badlands would be fun though, I didn't see a single rock in any of those pictures which would be a nice change from what I ride on a daily basis. There's spots even on my property where you can ride for about 300 feet and your tires don't even touch dirt.

But only 700 acres? Doesn't sound like much. The smallest riding park I was ever at was 1,400 acres or something, and we went from one end of the property to the other in 12 minutes if we hauled ass.