2000 Blaster... Worth it?

bushwood4568

Nov 4, 2015
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hello, I am new to the forum so if this isn't the right thread let me know. Anyway, I am thinking of purchasing this 2000 blaster for $750. It runs great and I was told it was rebuilt last winter by a local Yamaha dealer. But, it has surface rust in areas. Has an FMF slip on and a Uni filter. I am probably going to grind/use steel wool and PB Blaster or WD40 and try and clean the rust and quickly spray paint over it. I didn't see any cracks on the frame. So, should I go for it? Or is it not worth it?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 218
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    235.4 KB · Views: 140
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    314.8 KB · Views: 133
Stand it up on end and look at the frame behind the a-arms, before it widens around the motor. This is where it normally bends. See if they will let you do a compression test, and ask what size the main jet is. That will let you know how good the motor is, and if they know enough to have taken care of it well. Btw, just because the dealer rebuilt it doesn't mean its in great condition. Owner has to do heat cycles, break-in, jetting, and leaktest to keep it in top form

Source your area on Craigslist and see what others are going for. If the engine is leak free and good compression the cosmetics are easy. It does look a lil rough but it is a quad and their made for beating. Maintaince is key.

Stand it up on end and look at the frame behind the a-arms, before it widens around the motor. This is where it normally bends. See if they will let you do a compression test, and ask what size the main jet is. That will let you know how good the motor is, and if they know enough to have taken care of it well. Btw, just because the dealer rebuilt it doesn't mean its in great condition. Owner has to do heat cycles, break-in, jetting, and leaktest to keep it in top form
It has a 290 main jet and a 34 pilot jet. What should the compression be at, and are there other things to look at before I buy?

Those should be rich for those mods, or they are hiding an airleak. Stock pilot jet (32.5 IIRC) is normally good for about any mods. Compression needs to be above 100psi, 120-130 is about the best you can expect. Around 100 a rebuild is recommended. A leaktest isn't really necessary before buying, the compression test will tell you how the engine is doing. However a leaktest should be done before you really start riding much at all, and twice a year as regualr maintenance. http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/leak-down-test-video.57629/
If the owner knows about and has been performing leaktests, then you should have a great quad on your hands, most people do not tho

Those should be rich for those mods, or they are hiding an airleak. Stock pilot jet (32.5 IIRC) is normally good for about any mods. Compression needs to be above 100psi, 120-130 is about the best you can expect. Around 100 a rebuild is recommended. A leaktest isn't really necessary before buying, the compression test will tell you how the engine is doing. However a leaktest should be done before you really start riding much at all, and twice a year as regualr maintenance. http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/leak-down-test-video.57629/
If the owner knows about and has been performing leaktests, then you should have a great quad on your hands, most people do not tho
It has been bored .20 over would that still be too rich?

I forgot to mention it does have the oil injection removed. Thanks everyone for your replies.