2000 Blaster runs good but has trouble starting

hwk11222

Apr 5, 2020
Hey all, I’m possibly gonna go look at a 2000 blaster for my little brother (ever since got mine he wants one), so i obviously can’t really tinker with it or look I’m just wondering if it’s even worth checking out or something i should walk on. It’s a 2000 blaster stock, and it apparently runs good but is a very annoying to start half of the time. The owner says he put a new spark plug, cleaned carb, got new reeds, and cleaned out the exhaust, and has good compression but still has the problem. So I’m wondering what else it could be and if it’s a bike i should avoid and not get myself into or if it’s something simple. My thoughts from other info on this site is the Float level maybe or bad coil? He didn’t mention a leak down test but i figured it wouldn’t really run good and start good sometimes if it had a bad leak. Appreciate the help thanks

Hey all, I’m possibly gonna go look at a 2000 blaster for my little brother (ever since got mine he wants one), so i obviously can’t really tinker with it or look I’m just wondering if it’s even worth checking out or something i should walk on. It’s a 2000 blaster stock, and it apparently runs good but is a very annoying to start half of the time. The owner says he put a new spark plug, cleaned carb, got new reeds, and cleaned out the exhaust, and has good compression but still has the problem. So I’m wondering what else it could be and if it’s a bike i should avoid and not get myself into or if it’s something simple. My thoughts from other info on this site is the Float level maybe or bad coil? He didn’t mention a leak down test but i figured it wouldn’t really run good and start good sometimes if it had a bad leak. Appreciate the help thanks
Have you checked it out yet? Are you familiar with blasters? Do you know this person?asking because supposedly all these things were done probably to try and fix the same problem that it still has. Are you getting a good price? Could be simple like pilot jet pluged. Or more expensive like low compression.

Have you checked it out yet? Are you familiar with blasters? Do you know this person?asking because supposedly all these things were done probably to try and fix the same problem that it still has. Are you getting a good price? Could be simple like pilot jet pluged. Or more expensive like low compression.
Ever since i got mine I’ve done a lot to it (in terms of basic repairs and tube ups had to rebuild it once i bought it and replaced a bunch of stuff) so I’d say I’m pretty familiar with blasters at this point, and also a lot of help and good info from this forum. Didn’t get to take a look yet. Price the guys asking is pretty fair for what it is. And don’t know the guy just a listing on Facebook so not going to 100% believe him until i actually get to check it out myself. I’m just wondering if this problem could be something major especially since he tried most of the “simple” fixes apparently. Besides a top end but he is saying compression is good

Can't hurt to check it out.and see if it's something you want to get involved with. Any thing can be fixed.but figure in time and possibly parts.price should reflect that. Maybe just something stupid

What do you consider a good price ? For your area, which is where roughly?

Lots of other simple things, though still a long list :eek:
Rusty flywheel/stator poles/ pick up coil.
Bad plug cap or connection
Bad reeds
Carb still dirty. Must be able to blow air through all passages, see through jets.
Weak coil, should have hot blue spark.
Plus all things mentioned

Reactions: Slydog

Bad reeds
Carb still dirty. Must be able to blow air through all passages, see through jets.
U

Bad reeds
Unfortunately in my area I can’t seem to find a blaster for less than 1400 even when they are clapped out, this guy is asking 900 but already told me he’s willing to negotiate lower once we are actually negotiating. One guy was selling a blaster that had half spray painted fenders, missing all wiring (not even a kill switch), looked like it crashed at least once, and didn’t even have pegs on it. It sold for 1100. So just seeing one that runs decently and is stock for under a grand is crazy for me. But anyway appreciate the help so far still have to check it out. i personally just don’t have the time for bigger fixes pretty much anything “worse or more time consuming” than a top end. But I’ll probably find out more info once i actually do check it out.