Yamaha Blaster in Suburban

dustbusterplus

Jun 10, 2008
Texas
I'm looking at picking up an older (90s) used Suburban which can be had for way cheaper than a truck. I have taken some measurements and if I lower it some it will fit into that back of it. If it wasn't for trail riding, I'd just do a permanent lowering kit but don't know that I want that.

My question is, where do you think would be the best place to run a tie down to compress the front suspension for the handlebars to clear the roof? I was thinking I could go over the handlebars and down to my nerfs on each side, but not sure about how much stress the nerfs and handlebars can take. It won't be for very long, not more than an hour to and from where I ride at.

alittle more work..... but could u just remove bottom shock mounts and then put the shocks through the bighole i A-arm??? then it would be pretty low

Unless you need the whole thing low, go with giz's on the front, and a strap from grab bar to axle carrier and crank er' down

The only thing I'm unsure of on the handlebars is that headlight isn't that much lower, and I'm thinking it could get in the way after the handlebars are down.

I wasnt thinking that i have 06. You could always let some air out of the tires. I always bring a small air compressor with me wherever i go. There like 20$ and excellent to have.. otherwise like you said a tie strap around a arm and handle bar,or do both. Fold handle bar down and strap a arm ...

If you take off the shocks or remove one of the bolts it will be a bi**h to try and load and unload it by yourself.Loosening the handle bar clamps is the best idea if it will give you enough room.That way the bike still rolls and can be pushed up some ramps. There are plenty of ways of fitting it in there but doing it in a way that doesn't require you to spend a 1/2 hour wrenching on it to go riding is the key.

He has a good point. If you take the shock bolts off your front end is going to hang and be a btch to load. Any ways this guy hasn't posted back so he most likely figured something out.. it also takes about 2 min to take off both front tires. Already you don't have the a arms flopping around..lol.. he prob figured it out though.

^^^ a 1/2 hr... to do shock bolts???? wht r u doing them with a pliers?? it takes like a minute to do that.

You have to take off the shock bolts to load it.Then have to fight loading it.Once you get to your spot you have to fight unloading it and then reinstall the shock bolts.Go riding like you stole it,once your done you get to do it all over again.Remove the shock bolts,fight loading it.Drive home and then reinstall the bolts and put the machine away. Is that all still just a minute? tick tock tick tock :D The last thing anyone wants to do after a good day of riding is wrench and fight with their machine to load it and unload it.

Do u own or have acess to a trailer. Fitting the blaster is just to much work lol. When I picked my bike up when I bought it I fit it in the back of a suburban ( older on to) with just my Handel bars tucked down. I do have the 03 light but still taking a light off is easier everytime them having to undo shock bolts and all. Hell most times I dot even use my light.

I eventually plan to get a trailer, but currently where the driveway meets the road at our property is too sharp for me to pull a trailer down without messing something up. Plus, the gf is wanting a 4-wheeler for herself so I'm going to be transporting 2 shortly. This is more of a short term option I'm considering. I took some measurements and compared that with what I read the rear door dimensions were online and think that I might be able to clear the headlight so turning the handlebars down might work.

You have to take off the shock bolts to load it.Then have to fight loading it.Once you get to your spot you have to fight unloading it and then reinstall the shock bolts.Go riding like you stole it,once your done you get to do it all over again.Remove the shock bolts,fight loading it.Drive home and then reinstall the bolts and put the machine away. Is that all still just a minute? tick tock tick tock :D The last thing anyone wants to do after a good day of riding is wrench and fight with their machine to load it and unload it.

And hope a bolt and/or nut doesn't go MIA . I would much rather loosen 4 bolts and fold the bars down if it works.

Suburbans suck, you spend so much in gas, especially with a early 90's model. How does 7mpg sound to you ? Buy a pick up.

Stratton.

I just pop it into gear and then raise it all the way up, till its laying on the grab bar, then put it in neutral roll it (like a wheelie) put the front wheels in and see whats easier, either lowering the handle bars, or just taking the shocks off, either way there both simple and easy