wrist pin

rad-blaster230

Jan 27, 2008
fond du lac, WI
how do i get the wrist pin out of the piston? i took the circlips of and i took a punch and lightly tried to tap it out, then i tried to push it out with a screw driver

any IDEAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you should never pound on the wrist pin with a socket / dowel and hammer this can distort the rod or nick the crankshaft along with a multitude of other issues, they make a tool ( here we go again, the right tools make hard jobs very easy )that conforms to the piston and then presses the pin out...this is the proper and truly the only way this should be performed.

It's always better to use proper tools if you have them, I agree.
There are however times when the proper tool is not available and there are other methods that can be used within reason to accomplish the same thing.
How many pistons do you think have been changed at the track on a race weekend using the method I described? This case here sounds like prime example of where a special tool should be used, which wasn't indicated in the first post.

Im not trying to start an argument with anyone but even on race weekend there is no excuse for using the wrong tools. Not everyone has the money to replace stuff after blowing it up, but i guarantee with the proper methods and tools used you wont be replacing stuff as much, therefore saving you the money required to buy those tools. The pin puller is no longer than the dowel or sockets you are referring to and could easily fit into anyones carry along toolbox. The pros don't do things the wrong way for a reason, you should follow suit and believe me im not against a little human ingenuity but this simply was not the case ( he wasn't a race track ) and im sure he would rather spend $24 and do it right then to put it all back together and find out down the road the hard way that he bent his rod or destroyed the main rod bearing, there by costing much more money and time.