Would you use this cylinder?

mk2dubbin

Aug 5, 2012
I am slowly working through piles of parts and trying to turn it into one solid blaster with a ground up rebuild. i happened to take notice of the cylinder condition last night and thought I would see what you guys thought of this.

It looks like maybe the exhaust hanger was broken and that let the exhaust wear into the exhaust port and flange? Is this a common problem? The right (in the pic) mounting hole has a completely wrong stud and also has a helicoil in it. I don't half-ass sh*t on my cars nor quads and I am dealing with a lot of this type of crap in this build. I really don't want to buy another cylinder on top of everything else, but I guess I need to.

cylinder.jpg

i wouldn't run it like that, but thats prolly repairable by filing down the high spots and using a stock crush gasket,
worst case a DIY high temp material flat gasket and some hi-temp copper permagasket ???

ps...be sure to avoid those green paper base gaskets i see on there now !
factory yamaha or cometic only...both coated metal gaskets

Thanks for the reply. I agree - it could be fixed but I think I will just get a better cylinder. I don't know what the bore is on this one yet anyhow, and don't have the piston. It's getting a full rebuild and I will certainly use quality gaskets. My banshee got the wiseco treatment and I will probably go the same route with the blaster.

Anyone want to sell me a cylinder? Or a whole motor at this point, haha...

what is the problem exactly with that cylinder? the stud isnt stock and has a heilicoil? if thats all thats wrong i would run it. heilicoils are pretty strong i have used them in head studs before with no problems.

I probably over reacted out of frustration with the way things have gone with this thing the last few days. I will investigate the helicoil and stud situation a little better when I get closer to engine build time and go from there. A little scoob on the gasket and maybe it will be fine.

I just really don't want to rebuild the engine and then have this part fail and have to redo it again.

A few mins with a bastard file will fix the imperfections.

If that stud is in there tight with no movement, it should give no problems.

If you suspect a stud problem, it can be redrilled and tapped out and a larger stud fitted, but this will mean modifications to the flange.

It all really depends on your standards. Certainly tearing into a motor where you finds less than steller can be very upsetting.

Is that other stud shorter ? it looks it in the photo. if so, thats likely why some of that damaged happened, forcing the pipe on and over tightening it and t was not seated right either.

So, you just need to decide, pick up a used cylinder, I see some on ebay for decent price. or try and fix it.

Like the others mentioned, sanding it down, but you will have to run a additional gasket, so it dont leak from there.

It's never fun digging into stuff, that has been cobbled.

Sporty

Yes, the stud on the left appears to be original while the one on the right isn't even close to correct. The stud is too long in both directions.

The bore measured 66.3mm last night with the calipers so it is definitely worth trying to save. I will get it fixed to a satisfactory level. Thanks for the advise guys.

Hey guys, these rough cylinders are the place to play with your experimenting with porting and such. So you you fix up the exhaust but don't feel great about it, how long does it take to swap a cylinder, piston and all? An hour, max?

One thing at a time, try running it with no gasket under, just sealer, then try porting (just) the intake or (just) the exhaust. See what each does. Mess up? Well, it wasn't that great anyway? There is a pile of education in that there ugly cylinder.