Would a steering damper reduce hand bar jerk?

noid

Jun 13, 2008
My gf is have a hard time getting used to/liking atving, because as a small girl (5') when she hits a rut, the handlebars get jerked out of her hands. Is this something a steering damper would fix? Any recommendations? I dont want anything to expensive, just something that will work good for the trails.

billetanium steering stabilizer, probably the cheapest at about 120 on ebay, and rebuildable. It will help greatly.

It will help with that. depending on how it is adjusted it can make steering in general more difficult but generally the pro's out weigh that when it comes to dampners

My gf is have a hard time getting used to/liking atving, because as a small girl (5') when she hits a rut, the handlebars get jerked out of her hands. Is this something a steering damper would fix? Any recommendations? I dont want anything to expensive, just something that will work good for the trails.

OH Hell yes, night and day! I'll put it this way, My quad is like a 4x4 truck with no power steering, but i have elka shocks- i rode AWK ride with the stabilizer, i was able to use two fingers to steer! smoooth! Guess what I have for my next build?

I prefer to not run a stabilizer, but my trails are super tight compared to most. Im lucky if i get out of 3rd on the straights and im geared 12/40 and we have alot of very tight turns. So it also depends on the area you ride.

like slick said, i have a billetenium 7 way adjustable, on the lowest setting you can hardly tell it is on there, till you hit a rut/rock/log and it does it's job by keeping the bars from getting ripped out of your hands
on the 7th setting it is more of a chore to turn the bars then usual, but nothing will rip them outta your hands
i adjust the setting for the terrain, sometimes on the fly, just reach down and give it a few clicks one way or the other.
tight turn trails with little debri, i usually run in the middle, straighter rocky sh*t i run it maxed out at 7

what i have really learned from running it, is that you don't grab the bars, your hands just rest on them, and instead of pulling the bar the direction you wanna go, you push with the opposite hand
this not having to grab, grip, and wrestle the bars is a huge advantage in hand/arm
fatigue
my 30+ years of electrical work has me borderline "carpel tunnel", and my hands used to go numb after just short rides
they never go numb anymore, because the stabilizer keeps me from having to actually grip the bars

i will never ride without one again, it makes that huge of a difference

Much appreciated guys, looks like I will be picking one up for her.

like slick said, i have a billetenium 7 way adjustable, on the lowest setting you can hardly tell it is on there, till you hit a rut/rock/log and it does it's job by keeping the bars from getting ripped out of your hands
on the 7th setting it is more of a chore to turn the bars then usual, but nothing will rip them outta your hands
i adjust the setting for the terrain, sometimes on the fly, just reach down and give it a few clicks one way or the other.
tight turn trails with little debri, i usually run in the middle, straighter rocky sh*t i run it maxed out at 7

what i have really learned from running it, is that you don't grab the bars, your hands just rest on them, and instead of pulling the bar the direction you wanna go, you push with the opposite hand
this not having to grab, grip, and wrestle the bars is a huge advantage in hand/arm
fatigue
my 30+ years of electrical work has me borderline "carpel tunnel", and my hands used to go numb after just short rides
they never go numb anymore, because the stabilizer keeps me from having to actually grip the bars

sounds like i really need to get one. my hands are really only good for a couple hours as is right now

fatigue

That's some great input. I find myself Garila gripping the bars at higher speeds. Maybe with running one, I would be more relaxed on the bars. I almost lost my right hand in an accident at one time so this may help.