Wont shift into gear after full rebuild. First time completing full rebuild.

Something I did notice is that when I was turning the shift star, at some points it would get like stuck but would eventually turn over. In other words its wasn't a 100 % smooth rotation.

Mark case at 5oclock . under star that is approximately where stop lever roller is. T
Nuetral should line up there. Then each time you shift by hand into another gear it should line up with mark.(close) it just gives you an idea when running thru the gears.

If thats good. Then it's in shift shaft . prawn is hanging up. Or something stupid

Can you feel it shifting gears. Counter shaft should turn fast with each higher gear you shift into. Shift star is turning easy? No binding. After case halves put together? If so and it is going

Something I did notice is that when I was turning the shift star, at some points it would get like stuck but would eventually turn over. In other words its wasn't a 100 % smooth rotation.
Did you put alittle grease on the pins on shift forks that ride in the ramps of shift drum . question. Do you have engine laying on. It's side while turning star? If so that will make it harder.because of gravity.and weight of gears

Did you put alittle grease on the pins on shift forks that ride in the ramps of shift drum . question. Do you have engine laying on. It's side while turning star? If so that will make it harder.because of gravity.and weight of gears
Yes I put some assembly lube on before putting cases together, and when I was testing the gears the motor was upright just like it would be as if it were in the bike frame.

Quick question.... I found a extra dowel/pin, That means that one might be missing from the crankcase, would this cause shifting problems?

Yes I put some assembly lube on before putting cases together, and when I was testing the gears the motor was upright just like it would be as if it were in the bike frame.
Turning at a slow speed you will fell some resistance till the. Lugs on the gears mess
Then it will slide in gear

There are two dowel pins for the case half’s and yes you need both for everything to line up 100% correctly. There are also two for the cylinder to cases and two for the clutch cover as well.

If it were me I know I just would not sleep at night unless I split the cases again just to make sure everything is A ok, but then again that’s just me. Also, when trying to shift it were you spinning the output/sprocket shaft while trying to shift with the shift lever? And if yes, did you also have someone hold the input shaft where the clutch basket goes or the other way around? Because if you do not it will take it a bit longer to engage the gears.

I like to spin the clutch/trans axle while holding slight pressure on the output sprocket/ trans axles simulating a chain on the sprocket holding it still. I then have someone shift the shift lever as I spin the shaft.

Reactions: Ckblaster
There are two dowel pins for the case half’s and yes you need both for everything to line up 100% correctly. There are also two for the cylinder to cases and two for the clutch cover as well.

If it were me I know I just would not sleep at night unless I split the cases again just to make sure everything is A ok, but then again that’s just me. Also, when trying to shift it were you spinning the output/sprocket shaft while trying to shift with the shift lever? And if yes, did you also have someone hold the input shaft where the clutch basket goes or the other way around? Because if you do not it will take it a bit longer to engage the gears.

I like to spin the clutch/trans axle while holding slight pressure on the output sprocket/ trans axles simulating a chain on the sprocket holding it still. I then have someone shift the shift lever as I spin the shaft.
Will split cases and take photos of what's in side before I put together again, and no I did not have someone holding the input shaft, but I was spinning the output shaft with the sprocket on, sometimes it would get stuck but would eventually turn. when I was doing this I felt first gear engage, but I didn't really feel any other gears but 1 and neutral.

I will have to split the cases, but that's exactly why I bought a tusk case splitter.. lol
So you have both dowels for clutch cover correct? Pulls apart easy from clutch side.
Just make sure to turn star so it doesn't catch on case and bind. Very important. If it is the rear dowel it could possibly bind up the shift shaft.just take your time and check everything as you go

And check before you put case halves together.i always do.then after to make sure everything is good

After splitting the cases, it looks like that i did in fact have that dowel in there, so it might be one from the clutch side....

Reactions: Slydog
Here some pics of the gears, forks, etc. Anything seem wrong?

Attachments

• Resized_20200616_183803.jpeg
    Resized_20200616_183803.jpeg
    459.4 KB · Views: 170
Pics

Attachments

• Resized_20200616_183818.jpeg
    Resized_20200616_183818.jpeg
    365.2 KB · Views: 157
  • Resized_20200616_183827.jpeg
    Resized_20200616_183827.jpeg
    416.4 KB · Views: 157
  • Resized_20200616_183841.jpeg
    Resized_20200616_183841.jpeg
    380.9 KB · Views: 177
After splitting the cases, it looks like that i did in fact have that dowel in there, so it might be one from the clutch side....
I think i did mention to see if it was from clutch cover?:rolleyes: hay better safe than sorry

For one. Everything looks extremely dry?that is bad.you need to put whatever you are using for trans fluid on shafts and gears. Ain't nothing going to slide easy like that. That fork in your hand in picture
Is it bent?or just the angle.? Got more pics?Check end of fingers on each fork for shiny or worn on one side. Could indicate a bent fork.oil forks and pins.. Other than that
I didn't notice anything that looks out of place. Your doing a great job. Take your time on assembly.check things as you go.you got this