Why Lubrication Is Important :: 2 Stroke

lbwd

Apr 1, 2007
Missouri
This is why lubrication is important for our 2 stroke Yamaha Blasters, and really any 2 stroke machine:

Two cycle engines have no lubricant distribution system. In pre mix 2 cycle engines oils are mixed into the fuels, and in 2 cycle injector systems, oils are added to the fuel and air at a rate appropriate to conditions. In both cases, the oil is simply mixed with the fuel to lubricate the engine.

The reasons two cycle engines (and 2-cycle oils) work so hard is simple. Every stroke is a power stroke. In a four stroke engines, the piston rises and is driven down by combustion, but the next time the piston rises it pushes out exhaust gases. In a 2 cycle engine, exhaust gases are driven out by the incoming oil fuel mixture as the piston pushes the mixture into the combustion chamber on each and every stroke. These factors place tremendous demands on oils and lubricants. Read the article >

Source: http://www.go-synthetic.com/2-cycle/2-cycle.htm
Company: AMSOIL

I would like to add that this is also the reason it is VERY important to not let your bike push the engine. ANY TIME that you are not on the gas, you should have the clutch in and let the engine idle down.

Once you close that throttle plate your engine only gets the required amount of fuel for idle, so if your coasting and the engine is beeing forced to rev at 10,000 rpms... Your not getting proper lubrication and this is one of the main reasons people blow up 2-strokes.

ZxAlucard6r said:
I would like to add that this is also the reason it is VERY important to not let your bike push the engine. ANY TIME that you are not on the gas, you should have the clutch in and let the engine idle down.

Once you close that throttle plate your engine only gets the required amount of fuel for idle, so if your coasting and the engine is beeing forced to rev at 10,000 rpms... Your not getting proper lubrication and this is one of the main reasons people blow up 2-strokes.

Oh wow didnt know that one. With cars they say its good to let the engine rev down because it helps the rings or something like that. Good info

That is a really helpful point it makes sense now that you said it, but i'm lucky cause I didn't know this but just out of habit when i'm not on the throttle and i'm moving i'm holding in the clutch. So i'm just lucky i pretty much do that by accident.