why cotter pins are important!!

blasterboy32

Jan 9, 2012
harrisburg, pennsylvania
Finally got my quad put back together and I was planning on buying all new cotter pins but didn't get a chance yet. I put all the old ones in the ball joints and tie rod ends and that stuff but forgot all about the 4 that hold the hubs on. I found out the gateway and ill never forget them again. Here's a pic of after it happened. It would have been great if I got it on video because I came to a very abrupt stop and the wheel rolled another 200 feet and by the way I was in 4th gear when this happened. After it happened I checked the nuts on all the other hubs and they were all loose so I'm glad I caught it before it happened again. I lost some of the bearings and slavers but I think I have extras so that's not a big deal.
IMG539.jpg

IMG540.jpg

glad you survived that unharmed !!!!

i've learned that lesson the hard way too...
while passing a remote house that their dogs always chased me on my 200x
suddenly out of the corner of my eye i caught something big and black "running" right beside my foot, i kicked at it as i screamed out loud (these dogs were big and mean)
come to find out, as i flipped into the bushes, it was my rear tire/hub........forgot the cotter pin

glad you survived that unharmed !!!!

i've learned that lesson the hard way too...
while passing a remote house that their dogs always chased me on my 200x
suddenly out of the corner of my eye i caught something big and black "running" right beside my foot, i kicked at it as i screamed out loud (these dogs were big and mean)
come to find out, as i flipped into the bushes, it was my rear tire/hub........forgot the cotter pin

Bbaahhaahhaa. I can just picture that in my head.

I've never actually had a wheel come completely off but I have had things that weren't supposed to be loose, loose! I lost a tie rod end nut once but thankfully the tie rod end was still securely set down into the taper.

I make it a point now to go through and check ALL of the nuts and bolts after a tear down to avoid just that sort of problem.

I lost a rear wheel once while racing, same story here. Forgot the cotter pin!

im glad im not the only one.

this is just a thought but if any one out there has the machinery needed it would be a great idea. if the threads on the hub were reverse thread then when the wheel is spinning against the nut it would be tightening it instead of trying to turn it to the left on a regular hub and loosening it. i dont know if this would actually work but it was just a thought

similar thing happened on my go kart. i cam down a hill and around the corner then i realized that my wheel was rolling beside me. oops