Who out there has a 28mm Mikuni???

Would the main jets stay the same. Iam having the same prob but I have herd if you rebuild the carbs will help mine is an 04 and hasnt been rebuilt since then.

Nope, main will change. Pilot is mainly for idling and 1/8 throttle (but it also has a small effect on all throttle ranges), main starts to kick in around 1/4 throttle with the interference of the needle, but after 3/4 throttle it is all main. Read the link in my sig....the more you tinker with your carb, the more each section of the manual will make sense.

oh snap....look /\ at the carb guru go !!!!!!!
learned alot in these last few weeks

oh snap....look /\ at the carb guru go !!!!!!!
learned alot in these last few weeks

Ugh. LMAO. Had I had my hands in pig sh*t this much when I was younger, I probably wouldn't eat pork today...Bacon yes, just not the rest! Although, I think you only become a guru when you actually make something work, don't you? :-[

Ok, so I had a little time to play tonight and I swapped out the pilot from a 32.5 to a 30. Kicked it and warmed it up, then went thru playing with the air screw. There was no change in idling as I backed the air screw out. So, I turned it back to the start point, and 1/2 turn in it slowed the idling. Cool. After a few minutes of adjusting it back and forth, the sweet spot was 1/8 turn out from the starting spot. So, I will settle back to the #30 pilot and I will run it to set the needle and main tomorrow.

With that said, I've adjusted the floats to about 18.5mm (range is 15mm-17mm according to the manual), I've bent the tab up, I've even tweaked the tabs off the flapper a bit...and I'm still leaking out the damn float bowl vent. It is only leaking when the petcock is on. I know the needle and seat is working, I filled the carb up with fuel, disconnected, put a hose on the fuel line and tried blowing into it and I couldn't move any air in. Anyone have an idea on this?

if the manual calls for 15-17, and you're at 18.5 ?
i'd say it should leak,
set it at mid range...16mm

and 1/8th turn out on the airscrew for highest idle suggests going back to the 32.5

adjusting the floats correctly will effect all of that anyway
floats first, then everything else

if the manual calls for 15-17, and you're at 18.5 ?
i'd say it should leak,
set it at mid range...16mm

and 1/8th turn out on the airscrew for highest idle suggests going back to the 32.5

adjusting the floats correctly will effect all of that anyway
floats first, then everything else

Sorry, exhaustion on my part mislead you. The 1/8th turn out, was from the starting of 1-1/2, so now it is sitting at 1-5/8 turns out. Under 2 turns. I:I

As for the floats, hmm. When I first noticed I had the problem, they were at 12mm, give or take. There was no adjustment done to the tab on the flapper. Now, I have adjusted it, starting at about 15-16mm, it still leaked. Then I adjusted again to a little over 17mm...it still leaked. I have adjusted it to over 18mm now, and the way I have done all the adjustment is so that the floats will hit the flapper sooner and hopefully seat the needle and seat sooner....but it doesn't seem to be happening. Like I said, I had the carb off the blaster, full of fuel, hooked a hose up to the fuel supply and blew into it and I couldn't blow into it. But if put it back on the bike and I walk away and come back an hour later, with the petcock on, it is suddenly leaking. Unless I am mistaken, it is coming out of the bowl vent tube. Hmmm, I haven't checked the extension pipe in the bowl to see if it is cracked or has a hole in it. I'm as certain as I can be that the fuel level in the bowl is a little bit lower than it should be.

1-5/8ths turms out is damn near pefrect, now to re-adjust the needle and main to cooperate with the new pilot/airscrew settings and you should be golden,
well...... except for the leak/overflow

1-5/8ths turms out is damn near pefrect, now to re-adjust the needle and main to cooperate with the new pilot/airscrew settings and you should be golden,
well...... except for the leak/overflow

That's what I was thinking...I just have no idea on that leak/overflow. The only thing I can think, is plug the end of the over flow tube and see if it still leaks...that will give me an idea if it is the pipe inside the bowl, or if God forbid, the fitting in the bowl is cracked or something and it is just trickling down the tube. Other than that...:-/

careful with that plugging the overflow tube, you'll end up with a crankcase full of fuel if left too long

Ok, I'm at my wits end and I think I'm giving up. I went back to my #30 pilot and started at my #270 main and clip was one slot down from the top on the needle. I STILL could not get WOT, it was just bogging out. I dropped down to my #260 main and I got a pinch more throttle, so I figured I would raise the clip to the top slot. Now, I got WOT, but it was choppy at bet, spitting and sputtering and cutting out. So, I figured I would drop down to my #250 main and it did the same thing, just didn't cut out.

This really has turned into an epic failure at every turn. The only thing I have left to do is change the slide and change the needle...the needle jet can't be removed, so I'm stuck with that. I did do 2 plug chops with what I could get from my #250 at WOT. The 1st time was 1 run from the bottom of the driveway up to the garage, into about 5th gear and WOT for about 5-7 seconds, cut it and coast while breaking so I didn't smash into any of the vehicles. I cut the threads off and it was WICKED faint. So, I figured what the heck, I put in another new plug, ran down the driveway, turned around and ran back up, ran back down, ran back up and killed it again...mind you, this driveway is about 500-700 feet long and on a grade. Pulled the plug, cut the threads and this time looked more like what you guys get with your 10 seconds runs....maybe a bit lighter, but at this point, I'm finished. I figure, at this point it's either going to go or blow.