whats the best thing to do?

aubryblaster97

May 16, 2011
well i bought a blaster and i tore the motor apart cause it was smoking pure white so i thought crank seals. i took the cylinder off and its gonna need bored and then i took the clutch cover off and i see a missing clutch spring a screw. and i also found a that one of the gears (right behind the clutch basket) is missing alot of teeth. is my best to buy the parts and rebuild the bottom end my self or my the parts and let a shop rebuild it for me

id do it myself and if you get into it and figuer out you dont want to do it take it to your mechanic and set it in front of him and say fix it

alot of times, especially for a rookie at this, the tools needed to rebuild that bottom end cost almost the same as the labor a shop will charge to install new parts in that bottom end, you supply the parts

i had a crank, main bearings and seals installed for $75 labor once

the tools cost around $150..........
flywheel puller
2/3 jaw puller to spilt the cases
tusk crank puller
tusk clutch/flywheel holder

if you don't plan on owning/working on blasters the rest of your life, having a reputable shop do the work is the better option

If it was smoking white and gears teeth are missing, check the case for cracks or holes.

The stray teeth may have punchered the case.