what's the best reeds?

blaster7

Mar 5, 2011
Martinsburg wv
Hey there guys,could you guys let me know what's the best reeds that I can get for my blaster,and if you guys say v force 2's can you even still get replacement carbon peddles for it? again thanks for all the help guys.

This subejct has been covered many times over and there are as many opinions about it as there are members on here!

I will try to outline the concensus in a non-biased POV. Just FYI, the same principles apply to most of the mods on the blaster... so pay close attention.

The answer to your question really depends on a few factors, mainly: your budget, eventual power goals, and how much you enjoy fiddling with your blaster....

First off, reeds don't add lots of power. There are other factors which limit the maximum flow through the engine, only in the MOST extreme cases (full on drag bike trying to run factory reeds and factory cage with stops) would reeds actually limit power output. What changing the reeds does, however, is tune throttle response to your riding style. Aftermarket reeds "crispen" your throttle when added with other power additions.

Reeds are a wear item, they have to snap open and closed really fast and their design is a trade-off. Yamaha did not want a bunch of owners coming back with 20 hours on their quads complaining they wouldn't start so they put stiff reed petals in them so they would last a long time before they needed replacement. Unfortunately, reeds also need to be able to open and close quickly and stiff = heavy and they don't move as fast.

Boyeson developed a reed material which is lighter than factory and NEARLY as strong. The power series reeds are single stage (just like factory) but move a little quicker so they are a little "crisper" than the factory reeds. The disadvantage is they "banana" quicker so they will need replacing sooner.

Boyesen also sells the pro series reeds which are a generational leap in technology. They are a dual stage reed, a large petal which opens both but a small petal which only opens itself. At low flow the stiff large reed stays closed while the smaller, lighter, less stiff petal opens and closes very quickly. Usually the inner reed is made of carbon fiber to keep it strong to resist "banana"ing while allowing it to be light and open and close quickly.

Then there are replacement reed blocks; the boyesen "rad" valve and the moto tassinari "vforce" series reeds. They both have advantages and disadvantages...

The v-force reeds are a replacement reed block only with 4 reed surfaces (instead of the stock 2) and carbon fiber reeds. The housings are injection molded plastic and notorious for leaking even when properly gasketed. They are expensive (~$150) and you still have to run an intake manifold.

The boyesen rad valve has a whole replacement intake and reed block together cast out of aluminum utilizing boyesen reeds. The rad valve for the blaster is fairly restrictive in it's stock form as it's designed for "torque" applications. With some work, the rad valve can flow more than the factory reed block and I like that it completely replaces the reed block and intake manifold.

Warning: personal preferences to follow!

Personally I think both the VF3 and Rad valve are too expensive for the advantages they give and disadvantages they have... I like the dual stage reeds from boyesen for the power vs. price they offer. That's what I run in my quad.

Putting in Carbon Fiber reeds this weekend from boyeson. I am running 4 degrees advance, Open Airbox, Uni filter, 14T sprocket. Reed spacer, I will let you know what I think of the Reeds.

IMO i woundnt buy VF2 on my next build idk about other cages or reeds. not to mention VFs ARE expensive. i'd rather spend that $ of porting where u'd really feel a difference. one of my peedles cracked so i took the whole cage out, put the stocker back in til the replacement peddle came in and while i ran the stocker i swear it i wouldntve never knew i went back to stock. so i got the peddle in and threw back in the VF2. smoother yes but performance wise? ehhhhh 8-|

Reeds are probably the 3rd most overrated mod next to "jet kits" and "boost bottles". Do they help on initial throttle response, and on/off throttle response?....sure....but do they actually give large performance gains.......no, not really. I'd say it's lucky to merit 1hp really. Does that mean don't get them?.....no....but I'd probably just get some boyesen carbon fiber pro series dual stage replacement reeds for the stock cage. Supposedly some people have put the CR250?.....or 125....can't remember reed cage in the Blaster with a little modification and liked the results, so maybe there is something more there, but I can't say.

If you want some reeds, I have a spare VF2 reed cage with petals that has barely any use for sale like $70.

v-force reeds ad 5% more power on a stock blaster thats 0.45 hp gain on a blaster thats has a toomey b1 exhuast or fmf ect and a k&N or uni filter that would add 25% so on a blaster with a stock ports and carb thats 22hp and if up put on a good pipe and reeds u get 23hp the real diffrance with reeds is in throttle response

if u look at y mods...i have just about ALL the mods u just said and more. i ran the VF2 (still do) then put the stock in and ran if for a week. if some one stole my VF2 cage and stuck my stock in without me knowing i wouldve NEVER known unless i looked at my intake.. thats just my opinion

Hmmmm,but I'm running a vitos 240 will the stock reed cage fit? and if you guys say it will work then I'll get the pro series boysen reeds then.

CR125 reeds in a blaster? really no no really,how the hell did you do that bud,tell me how and I'll do it if it's good man,also guys moneys not an object to me when it comes to certant things like my blaster laughs,nothings to good for it lol.

well you have to buy the right year... which i think its the 90's the block i have is a 98.... you then have to trim the edges of the cr reed cage down and port the inside of the intake so that cage will fit in... then you make urself a nice little 1/2" spacer and bolt them all together... better than the vf3's and like 1/4th the price

Hmmm,yeah it sounds good all but that how you say spacer lol,how would I make a spacer,oh and I've got a upp 35mm intake so I think there's no need to port the intake rite?

Reactions: BlasterPat
idk i have some boysean and i like em crisper response bu i got a pair of vorce2 reeds for 50 if you want em
most of the reason people say to not buy em is price but ill hook u up with a cheap used set

well you can buy the spacer no big deal there... but im talking about the intake on the cylinder head... where the reed cages actually go into the engine.. it has to be shaved so the larger cage can fit in there... theres a few threads on it search cr125 reeds and you will find them

Reactions: BlasterPat
yeah but the problem I've got with vf-2's is the reed pedals ya know,I've looked and can't seem to find new replacements for them,maybe you can fill me in partner.