What's a good start? Mods + Winter riding

007blaster

Dec 12, 2011
Northern Michigan
Will be rebuilding my top end in a few weeks and plan to ride on my lake this winter.
my mods are :
Pro circuit pipe/silencer
Vforce3 reeds
Stock carb w/ tors delete
Oil Pump delete running Yamalube 32:1
Elevation 900ft approx
Clip in middle position
Airscrew 1.5 out.

Leakdown Will be performed along with compression test followed by plug chops(real ones).
Thanks Guys. just trying to find a safe main jet to start with I was thinking 250-260 and keeping the 32.5 pilot.

I think you might want to start on 270ish. FMF pipe and all those mods you start at 300. I think pro circuit requires a little smaller jet but I could be wrong. Hopefully somebody with experience will pipe in (get it.... "pipe in") hehehhee

On or off is up to you , Since its winter dirt and mud should not be flying near the seat and air box lid area , main Jet size needs to be at least 1-2 bigger with no Lid . If using stock lid with rubber snorkel you only need to jet for pipe and the other conditions

Stock pilot, float level set correctly, clean carb not flooding, and idle adjusted correctly.

Clip on middle slot.

#270 -#280 lid on.

#280 - #300 lid off.

Start big and work down, plug chop to confirm.

for any of the left bend pipes, i'd start around 300 and plug chop down, except the toomey (330)
stock pilot will be fine, needle = middle clip.

widely fluctuating temps may require daily jetting attention.
do not jet it (plug chopped exact) now in 40/50 temps, then go on the lake in 20- degree weather and expect it to last, i jump 2 main jet sizes from my summer jet when the temps drop below the 50's, which has proven fine down into the 30's, i would plug chop again for temps under freezing.
the airscrew should be adjusted for high idle as needed, before plug chopping the main jet.

check at the top of this carb section for the stickies on float height, airscrew and jetting 101

One word of advice, if it's REALLY KOLD (-0), rigg a shield in front of the engine to help to keep it warm. My son cold seized his WOT 6th gear 0/ -10F, had good jetting too.

As mentioned start big, work down, adjust for temp swings, better fat then melted.X(