What is the matter with This plug???

damn alzheimers strikes again...

i KNOW theres a reason why too, im missing it also...i keep thinking its something to do with the needle or ???

timing maybe ????
i see your at +4

timing should show up on the strap. doing a little research right now to try to figure out exactly what it means. I've also heard something about it

hmmmmmmm. looks like it could be rich enough, that it's not putting the ring far enough down on the plug.

what heat range is the plug? and is it a stock head?

hmmmmmmm. looks like it could be rich enough, that it's not putting the ring far enough down on the plug.

what heat range is the plug? and is it a stock head?

that rings a bell, heat range of the plug and compression ????

either way, that plug does look rich enuf, and as i remember, where the ring is, is a product of something, but not detrimental

something along those lines. may do a little more research later on.

the plug chop that i did earlier came out really fk'd up. turned the whole plug dark brown top to bottom.

cant wait too seee what ya think in aug sept. you willl deff like the modd's, goood too see your going in steps. adv timing could go in plug choppps so that may be a clue

that rings a bell, heat range of the plug and compression ????

either way, that plug does look rich enuf, and as i remember, where the ring is, is a product of something, but not detrimental

its a b8es. compression was 160 3 weeks ago. it didnt feel sluggish, Really snappy still. im thinking im gonna try one more up and see where that gets me. i was thinking 300 but, id rather be too rich than too lean. and with the plug chop not cooperating, ima try it richer on the safe side first... 320

this is what i expected to see out of it. this is usually how they end up. not sure how my one earlier got so messed up
firstridewithwildcardtopend012.jpg

your plug is still on the rich side, going up will probably start sapping power.

since it's been pretty hot out, it may be OK to just leave it where it's at, and then when temps drop down to being a little more normal, it'll be a little closer. hate to get it too close to the edge and have issues when it gets back around 70* out

So I decided to leave the 310 in it, even though it's a little rich, I wanted to ride today. While out on the trails, not really pinning it, I noticed that the engine seemed hotter than normal. Temps outside were in the high 80s low 90s. And the blaster pipe was HOT! I mean discolored HOT! Any ideas what would cause this? Even when the plug chop looked rich could it still be too lean? Engine is airtight, leak tested while the pipe was off. Any thoughts???

All right, hot discoloured pipe is a warning you are getting too close. Don't go leaner.
Your danger is not just detonation, but also piston overheating.
Over advanced timing or plugged or small muffler pipe will drive heat into the piston, causing a heat seizure.

Any one ever use a spark plug temp probe?
Some of the air cooled sled and VW guys used to use them years ago to gauge cylinder temps.
Watched the plug temps, 250f-350f is OK, near 400f spells trouble.
Anyone use one?

If you were not pinning it and it was getting hot.

There is a possibility that you could be lean on the needle at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.

It is possible to do a plug chop at 1/2 to 3/4, you can set the thumb throttle limiter to get the slide opening correct.

That's what I was thinking too. Blaaster, did u look at the pic of the plug chop I did? Reading the way the smoke ring is more towards the top makes me think I'm lean on the needle too.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking too. Blaaster, did u look at the pic of the plug chop I did? Reading the way the smoke ring is more towards the top makes me think I'm lean on the needle too.

if you did a WOT plug chop, i don't believe you were in the needle range long enuf to color the plug ??
try what blaaaster suggests, set the throttle stop screw to slightly over 1/2 throttle and plug chop that needle range ?

if you did a WOT plug chop, i don't believe you were in the needle range long enuf to color the plug ??
try what blaaaster suggests, set the throttle stop screw to slightly over 1/2 throttle and plug chop that needle range ?
Ok, I see what you mean. Ugh, gotta get another box of plugs tomorrow. Thanks Joe!

ok, did a 1/2 throttle chop today. set my throttle stop and pinned it (well, as far as it would let me)
Headbang-1.gif
ended up raising the needle one clip (richen) everything seems to be good except...i kinda have a low speed flutter...if thats the way to describe it. the throttle is choppy about a quarter open. Any ideas Now???

qtr throttle, i believe is where the pilot and needle cross over. dyno jet makes a chart which explains when and what is controlling the fuel. if that helps any.

how do you like the topend and pull of the pipe? nasty right. that pipe almost sucked me off the bike. i cant imagine what its like with a port and hi comp head mod.

I am possibly saying something that you have already done, but the idle setting must be correct as it will affect the needle up to 1/2 throttle.