What do you think of my plug chop?

Unstock240

Oct 7, 2008
mid Ohio
I spelled think wrong ^^^^^.I just did this, but one side looks lean and one side is a little rich. its about half around dark and exactly half lean looking. I think the ring might not be dark enough either. The pic makes it a little darker. What do you think lean or rich?

CIMG0156.jpg

CIMG0154.jpg

Last edited:
he cut the casing off...i have never been a huge fan of doing plug chops on a spotless new plug ...but i have heard if you do the "ring" around the base of the insulator is supposed to be about 2mm and the usual chocolate brown. So in my opinion you look close...maybe just a little richer to be safe

yo u must see the uncut part first after a hard run .then*** you cut it ,no one can accurately tell as of right now

^^^^^I dont quite get what you are saying? I warmed the bike up rode around then shut it off put in the new plug. Went reall fast and kept it full throttle in 5th for about 20 seconds then shut it off. I ran that plug, must be too lean then. This is exactly what I did http://www.dfn.com/benkaren/plugchop.html except i ran on full throttle longer because some say it will show better. The thing thats hard is half the plug is right on and the other half smoke ring shows lean.

Last edited:
no,yo udid right dont get me wrong except we want ot see a pic of what it looked like BEFORE you cut it too

sh*t...that's why it's called a plug "chop!!" I always just looked at the insulator....

I'm no expert, but if my insulator was that white, I would go richer. My insulator (which I just look at without cutting the metal) is darker than that...

heres what my plug looked like..but its just my everyday plug, i got bored and decided to chop it...i did not do a ride the way it was supposed to be done, just keep that in mind...just got bored b/c i have nothing to do..heres what it looked like...its about 4 diff. shades of brown
plugchop1.jpg

You cant read a used plug it has to be new and it will be white.It does look a little lean.there should be a brown ring all the way around.Show pics of plug before you chop it up.

I've done this many times on my sons race quads. If you get tired of cutting plugs you can use a magnifying glass and a strong light to veiw the smoke ring. I use what a doctor uses when they look in your ear it has the light and magnification built in, my wife got me one from the office she worked at.
I'd say, if it was me, and I felt I ran it long enough wide open or on the main, I'd go up one jet size. Now, if you don't see any white or grey specks on the plug you could put a new one in and run it longer than you have this one and recheck it because it takes a while to get the smoke ring to develope fully. If you want to be on the safe side go up a jet and run it until you can see a solid ring with your eye and a light, then cut threads and look closer.
Depending on the fuel your using and the plug direction in the cylinder you may get different colors and partial rings.

Strange....I've heard that it's best to use a used plug, not a new one, to read the color......

Which way is the proper way??

new one for sure ,an old one will get permenatly colored carboned and never accurately tell you the current state of tune/jetting