welded clutch rod/ball - seeking advice

crazyjust

Apr 7, 2011
Tamaqua, Pa
I am in the process of replacing crank seals on my cousins blaster. When I got to the cluch side, I took off the pressure plate. The rod will turn, but not come out. I'm assume the rod/ball is welded. How have others removed these without splitting the cases?

I am in the process of replacing crank seals on my cousins blaster. When I got to the cluch side, I took off the pressure plate. The rod will turn, but not come out. I'm assume the rod/ball is welded. How have others removed these without splitting the cases?

you removed the center adjustment nut to remove the pressure plate ?
without /\ the rod comes out/off with the pressure plate
i've removed a few with the ball welded.
was the clutch working before you got your hands on it ? if so, the ball was not welded

you removed the center adjustment nut to remove the pressure plate ?
without /\ the rod comes out/off with the pressure plate
i've removed a few with the ball welded.
was the clutch working before you got your hands on it ? if so, the ball was not welded

I got the rod out. It is welded. I'm aware you don't have to take the adjustment nut off to pull the pressure plate, but I took the bolts with springs out, and it wouldn't come out. Here is what I did. I took the basket off to change the crank seal. I put the nut on the clutch shaft flush, found a washer that fit over the rod(about 1/2" thick), and tightened the inner pressure plate nut to pull it out. This thing is in sad shape. I never started the machine, just going on what my uncle and cousin told me. A leak test was the first thing I did, and found stator side crank seal was leaking. The frame was broke, so I got another frame and am going over the whole thing. I was told:
"The clutch never felt right from day 1" (now I know why)
"It seems like it should have more power" (95 psi compression. Time for a bore)

The tors was deleted, There was no vacuum cap or idle screw in carb. Half of the bolts were missing for plastics.