WARRIOR help

blasterbuddy200

Dec 25, 2010
St. Michael, Minnesota
hey guys, my buddy has a 87 warrior, the header is only held on by one bolt....shes pretty shot, but still runs good. the other day we were riding, he was in 6th gear half throttle and it started backfiring like a mother and died. we pulled it back and tried to get it to start

it starts and idles, but when you try to get it above quarter throttle it makes a bad CLICK or backfire sound from the motor and dies...........some research lead us to a ground wire for the reverse handle?? causing it to short out and die? or some others have lead us to worn gaskets..... i thaught of TORS but realized they dont have it....

NEED some input on anything related about it, anything can help to solve it.

anyone had any problem like this before????

I.had that problem on my 99 warrior. I traced it too my valves needed adjusted. I cleaned my carb, rebuilt my carb, and tried everything. The only thing i could figure out is the valves

Im willing to bet that the cam timing has jumped on the engine. Its very possible that the timing chain has worn and stretched to the point that the tensioner can no longer take up the slack, especially since this is an older engine with over 2 decades of wear and tear on it.

Just FYI, the engine will still run...just very poorly...if the timing skips a tooth in either direction.

To check the cam timing on a Warrior, remove the inspection plug from the left side of the crankcase, located on the top of the stator housing, right behind the pull starter. When you take the timing inspection plug out of the engine, you can see the edge of the flywheel through the hole.

Now, take the cam drive gear cover off the left side of the cylinder head, so that the cam gear is exposed.

Next, remove the spark plug from the head, and turn the engine over by hand. Look through the small inspection window in the bottom end, and watch until the 'T' mark on the flywheel aligns with the pointer cast into the engine case. Now look at your cam gear, and the corresponding two timing marks cast into the cylinder head. The timing marks on the gear should be aligned with the horizontal marks on the head. If the marks don't line up after one of two crankshaft revolutions (it may take two revolutions of the crank to bring the cam gear marks into position), you have found your problem.

To fix jumped timing, you'll need at least a new timing chain, and probably a new tensioner and set of chain guides...