very stupid mistake

yes se-r

Aug 6, 2009
Long Island, NY
i took a long break from here as i blew my blasty up right after a blizzard last month and ive been ashamed to come by

cliffs notes. i restored my quad with all oem stuff and was having fun riding her on the weekends..then i got the mod bug

went all out, sent my head to flotek did porting, boring etc.

pretty much had all the basic mods minus exhaust which i will be getting in the mail tomorrow and it snows ALOT.

well for whatever reason i couldnt get her to idle properly and in fact even running was an issue. as some know i was doing alot of jetting and thought i had it all down..

well it snows and still no luck but i was able to get her to idle/run with the choke on..i know, stupid stupid mistake

long story short..after about 2 hours of riding it, it makes a horrible noise and shuts off. i kick it a few times..it feels tough to kick but still possible. well after that escapade i havent even touched the thing. but i will be pulling it apart in the next week..anyone have an ideas of my stupidity?

Reactions: Awk08
sounds like a bearing may have gone. hopefully its nothing too serious man. pull the stator cover off and try to turn it over and see if it turns easily with no strange noises. also there's a reason that it never idled, make sure that you try to track that down as well. hard to say where to start besides make sure there's no air leaks and that you're getting fuel flow.

ok i see what your saying but the choke was never off..so wouldnt that mean it was rich? or are you saying that i had to go even richer with my jetting. i forget the jets i used but it was pretty damn high

well with the choke on your only enrichening the idle cicuit...open that puppy up and if your main is lean or needle clip is on very top slot along with the cold dense air (requiring fatter jetting) your screwed ..piston, mains, big end and small end rod bearings can all sustain damage ..all should be inspected

well with the choke on your only enrichening the idle cicuit...open that puppy up and if your main is lean or needle clip is on very top slot along with the cold dense air (requiring fatter jetting) your screwed ..piston, mains, big end and small end rod bearings can all sustain damage ..all should be inspected

yea i knew it wasnt going to be pretty..well see what happens when i open it up

choke on after warmed up = lean condition, did you even do a plug chop??? find out what jet ya had, what needle clip position, airscrew setting
and report back private, or stand to be court martialed!!!!!

choke on after warmed up = lean condition, did you even do a plug chop??? find out what jet ya had, what needle clip position, airscrew setting
and report back private, or stand to be court martialed!!!!!

lol will do, my blastys a mess i never got that brake on too. fail fail fail

You had it apart and then the problems started. Did you do a leakdown test? I'd say you've got an air leak. If you haven't torn it down yet, do a leakdown so this doesn't happen again. You're just guessing if you don't do some basic diagnostic work.

pritty much thats the way to do it there may be different versions but you will need a similar gauge and other parts and also it has to be completely sealed up (the tool and motor) to get a good reading you can either make the system yourself or you can also buy one made to for the motor but they can get pricey

Hey man, I hope this helps.....................
I am running pretty much the same motor, 28mm oko, but I have an FMF pipe and my very modded intake with a big filter.
I am running a 42 pilot, 3 clip on the needle, and a 175 main. That is in 60ish temps. I may go back to the 172 main, but the 175 felt good. Need to get it in the sand to get a long run for a plug read.
With a stock pipe in the snow, I would think you would still want around a 42 to 45 pilot and a 162 or so main jet.
Look at what you had in there and let us know.

Sorry to re-post so quick............but ya, you likely will need to go up 1 more on the bore and get a new piston, rings, and roller bearing for the pin. Hopefully the crank and bottom are ok.
If it needs the choke just to run, it's either too lean or it has an air leak. (hopefully not both!)