twist or thumb throttle?

blaster1993

Jul 14, 2009
Ireland
which do ye guys think is better for racing? im new to the race scene and doing a few mods to my blasty :)
any tips are greatly appreciated :D thanks :D

i put a twist on there that i had layin around and its seemed like a load of balls.. was sticky and fuk and unpredictable it would idle high sometimes and low others and just seemend like a mess

Put a good twister on, learn to use it, you may learn to love it.

So much more control for MX, and stops the achy thumb.

Beware though, the first few rides aint for the faint hearted, but it is all to do with the wrist and finger positioning.

68 years old and still twisting! :)

Personally I prefer twist, just feels more natural to me especially in the turns. Haven't come any closer to killing my self with it verses the thumb throttle. Not quite as experienced as Blaaster (just 55 yrs old) but 40+ years using a hand grip throttle may taint my opinion.

I love me a twisty throttle on a Banshee, but IDK if Id do it on the Blaster. They are lots of fun, but don't try jumping or hitting lots of rough terrain with a twist throtte. I hit jumps and ride like there's no tomorrow on my Blaster, so I won't be converting to a twister anytime soon. That said, I learned how to ride ATV's on a Banshee with a twist throttle and loved it, but I once ran my foot over and almost broke my ankle when the Shee took off on me after a rough landing. Running a twist throttle is tempting fate. To me, it was worth it. It may or may not be worth it to other people.

I used twist throttle all my life on motorcycles and dirt bikes and thats where they belong. Theres good reason quads have thumb throttles. Hit some bumpy terrain when not expecting it and you might find out why.

which do ye guys think is better for racing? im new to the race scene and doing a few mods to my blasty :)
any tips are greatly appreciated :D thanks :D

We are talking racing are we not, MX, flat track, not trails, rocks ect?

I used twist throttle all my life on motorcycles and dirt bikes and thats where they belong. Theres good reason quads have thumb throttles. Hit some bumpy terrain when not expecting it and you might find out why.

There is very little unexpected (if any) unexpected terrain whilst racing as one should walk the track to see where the problems lie. One should never race a track if you are not familiar with it.

In my opinion a twister is a bonus for MX as one can control flights ,burms and corners so much easier than with a thumb throttle.

As stated before it does take some practice with correct wrist and finger placing, and the first few bumps and landings can make the heart pound.

Correctly used a twister poses no more danger than a thumb throttle, if you learn how to use it.

I do believe that thumb throttles have their place like riding trails, rocks, steep inclines (heart in mouth territory), and rough terrain.

We are talking racing are we not, MX, flat track, not trails, rocks ect?

There is very little unexpected (if any) unexpected terrain whilst racing as one should walk the track to see where the problems lie. One should never race a track if you are not familiar with it.

In my opinion a twister is a bonus for MX as one can control flights ,burms and corners so much easier than with a thumb throttle.

As stated before it does take some practice with correct wrist and finger placing, and the first few bumps and landings can make the heart pound.

Correctly used a twister poses no more danger than a thumb throttle, if you learn how to use it.

I do believe that thumb throttles have their place like riding trails, rocks, steep inclines (heart in mouth territory), and rough terrain.
I disagree with what you said 100% as well as many others will say the same,,If they were so safe they would come stock on all quads.

I disagree with what you said 100% as well as many others will say the same,,If they were so safe they would come stock on all quads.

I do believe that thumb throttles have their place like riding trails, rocks, steep inclines (heart in mouth territory.), and rough terrain.

To each his own.

You are slightly off track, the guy is talking racing, that is where twisters shine.:)

Quote from chat,
"08:04 AM <mmajay> wtf,, bunch of losers in here includeing me". Self praise is no recomendation.

Last edited:
To each his own.

You are slightly off track, the guy is talking racing, that is where twisters shine.:)

I aint off track, been to several mx races and i dont recall seeing but a few brave soles useing twist throttles. How do you figure they shine on an mx track and if so why dont mx racers use them more often?? Enlighten me?? Your one of a very few who prefer them on a quad period. Only exception for me useing a twist on a quad is for drag raceing on a smooth track and i have seen many on asphalt . This topic has been discussed many times on here and your by far the minority who prefers twist so i would say you are the one thats way off track.

I aint off track, been to several mx races and i dont recall seeing but a few brave soles useing twist throttles. How do you figure they shine on an mx track and if so why dont mx racers use them more often?? Enlighten me?? Your one of a very few who prefer them on a quad period. Only exception for me useing a twist on a quad is for drag raceing on a smooth track and i have seen many on asphalt . This topic has been discussed many times on here and your by far the minority who prefers twist so i would say you are the one thats way off track.

I used twist throttle all my life on motorcycles and dirt bikes and thats where they belong. .

Please make your mind up.

My opinion is that a twister is by far better for racing and I stick to it like glue, like I stick to my bike.

I must admit that the glue is gettin' less strong as the years go on.

I'm running a twist :)

402353_341849629172609_100000427240239_1246949_327011502_n.jpg

personally I don't like a twist on a 4 wheeler, I am too prone to work it unintentionally.

I do put a lot of body english into my riding though, just never could get the twist to work for me, felt un-natural on a quad. felt a lot more at home on a bike though