TWal Complete Blaster Rebuild

TWal

Nov 24, 2013
Massachusetts
HELLO BLASTER FORUM!

My name is TWal, and this is my first post here on this awesome forum. That being said, I've been sneaking around here for months and have spent countless hours reading up on literally everything about the Blaster. Having gained a semi-decent knowledge about the ATV, my friend and I took a trip up to upstate NY to purchase this beauty:

CAM01246_zps27b4a127.jpg

I don't know the year of it, but I know it's in very good shape for its age. It doesn't have too many dents or dings, barely any rust and all of the core parts are still attached. Here are some more pictures of the rolling chassis:

CAM01247_zpsd47f252b.jpg

CAM01248_zpsaa5c4158.jpg

CAM01249_zps497f762d.jpg

CAM01250_zps11754a8e.jpg

CAM01251_zpsf072ce7b.jpg

CAM01252_zpse1a53e7a.jpg

The Vision

ENGINE: When I find an engine, I will have it professionally rebuilt and bored out to 240cc's (at least). I want as much reliable performance as I can get out of this Blaster.

FRAME: I am going to disassemble everything on this rolling chassis and paint everything. I will have the frame painted (or powder coated) black, the control arms red and the swing arm black as well.

SUSPENSION: I will be purchasing new struts (colored white) but will NOT be changing it otherwise. I do not want long travel suspension with this build.

TIRES/WHEELS: The tires I have now are in good shape. I will, however, be purchasing new wheels to go with them. I'm on the fence between new polished aluminum ones or some other pattern (please make suggestions).

BRAKES: I will need to purchase an entirely new brake system for this Blaster. As you can tell, I'm missing the rear brakes completely, and I still need to figure out if the front ones work. I was told by the guy I bought it from that they didn't but I'll definitely test them.

FENDERS: I need to get all new fenders for this Blaster and will likely paint them red and black. This will probably be one of the last categories I tackle unless I find a great deal.

THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THIS PROJECT!​

Finally, I hope that you will all join me on this quest to build my first four-wheeler by giving me suggestions, referring me to places to buy parts/paint/etc., and will follow my posts! This project will really take off over the summer (as I am a full-time student and will be at school 95% of my time when the semester starts) but I will update this thread whenever I've done anything worth sharing.

PLEASE give me suggestions and pointers! I am completely new to this and love to learn. THANK YOU and have a great day!

I am also embarking on my first complete build.I have done a lot of work on quads\trikes but on my first build I paid $140 for a complete 03+ roller engine included[but partially apart].If you don't mind what do you have in it so far?

You can tell the year of it by the tenth digit of the vin. It is located where the gear shifter would be on the quad. I can sorta see the vin in the pics but can make out the numbers.

Take note: this is his first post!!! That's how a fellow masshole does it!!! Well written and easy to read. Nice job :)

Looks like you have a great starting point. You have your plan set so go with it and make changes accordingly. One thing I will add is no matter how fast the engine you can only ride it as fast as the suspension allows. With that said I would atleast look for some standard travel works shocks in the future.

Great post.

Welcome.

I am not so keen on how the rear sprocket looks, make sure you buy a matched set and a new chain.

With that said, I look forward to seeing the progress.

Welcome! Love that you post pictures before we ask fer um!!

with that said, how much do you know about blaster engines?
ENGINE: When I find an engine, I will have it professionally rebuilt and bored out to 240cc's (at least). I want as much reliable performance as I can get out of this Blaster.

Not trying to doubt you, or put you down in any way, but a blasters max is 240cc

You can add extended cranks for a little more, but 240 it the biggest without doing anything on the bottom end.

Also, the key to a reliable engine is matinence... Not just what hp you can push out and how much money you can put into them... I just wanted to say this part right out now, before you do too much.

EBay has some decently priced complete blaster motors right now. Or even cheaper lower ends and you can build from there. I would pick up a complete lower and buy a new vito's 240 complete top end. Than tear down the lower and go threw it..

I am also embarking on my first complete build.I have done a lot of work on quads\trikes but on my first build I paid $140 for a complete 03+ roller engine included[but partially apart].If you don't mind what do you have in it so far?
Good for you! That's a great deal on the chassis with the engine. What kind of shape was the engine in? I spent 150 on the rolling chassis.

You can tell the year of it by the tenth digit of the vin. It is located where the gear shifter would be on the quad. I can sorta see the vin in the pics but can make out the numbers.
Thank you! I will take a look at this tomorrow when I disassemble the chassis.

Its good that you have a plan for your build. I'll definitly be watching your build over the next few months.
Absolutely! I appreciate the viewership, and though my updates will likely slow due to the impending college semester, I'll resume everything when summer begins and I have the time and money to get plenty of things done. I will be working on this throughout the semester though I won't always be home.

Take note: this is his first post!!! That's how a fellow masshole does it!!! Well written and easy to read. Nice job

Looks like you have a great starting point. You have your plan set so go with it and make changes accordingly. One thing I will add is no matter how fast the engine you can only ride it as fast as the suspension allows. With that said I would atleast look for some standard travel works shocks in the future.
Haha, thank you! It's good to see another New Englander on these boards. I'm sure you've been enjoying the recent subzero temperatures as much as I have! In all seriousness, I love the cold here. I got back from a vacation in Florida last week and I really did miss the low temps.
I appreciate the suspension tip, and that definitely makes sense. I will look into all of that when the struts become a priority.

Great post.

Welcome.

I am not so keen on how the rear sprocket looks, make sure you buy a matched set and a new chain.

With that said, I look forward to seeing the progress.
Thanks a lot! I thoroughly agree and will definitely be inspecting it closer (i.e., replacing it) when I begin work on the power train.

Welcome! Love that you post pictures before we ask fer um!!

with that said, how much do you know about blaster engines?

Not trying to doubt you, or put you down in any way, but a blasters max is 240cc

You can add extended cranks for a little more, but 240 it the biggest without doing anything on the bottom end.

Also, the key to a reliable engine is matinence... Not just what hp you can push out and how much money you can put into them... I just wanted to say this part right out now, before you do too much.
I figured everyone would appreciate pictures... I sure do when I'm browsing various builds! I don't know a whole lot about Blaster engines but am continuing to learn daily. I wasn't aware of a boring limit for the engine but will do more research before I have it done.

EBay has some decently priced complete blaster motors right now. Or even cheaper lower ends and you can build from there. I would pick up a complete lower and buy a new vito's 240 complete top end. Than tear down the lower and go threw it..
Already done! I actually scored a ridiculously good deal on a full engine tonight... full as in everything is there. It's disassembled right now and in a number of pieces. It doesn't look like anything major is missing, though I will need a new piston and likely a new cylinder (looks to be in rough shape). I will post detailed pictures in the near future of it so stay tuned!

Welcome to the forum. Nice to see that you have some forum reading behind you as you have done some homework. Stick around as there is an infinite amount of knowledge on this forum. My suggestion is to become a supporting member. It will open more options so you can post in the wanted section and take part in the contests/ giveaways, etc..

Welcome to the forum. Nice to see that you have some forum reading behind you as you have done some homework. Stick around as there is an infinite amount of knowledge on this forum. My suggestion is to become a supporting member. It will open more options so you can post in the wanted section and take part in the contests/ giveaways, etc..
Thanks! I'd like to think I have a decent understanding of the Blaster and two strokes in general. I've said it before and I'll say it again, all of this is new to me. It all started with a revelation I had several months ago that made me want to build myself an ATV. I started doing research and this is where I ended up. I'm thrilled to be here, both on the forum and actually locked into a project, and I'm looking forward to learning more from everyone here on the forum. I will surely look into becoming a supporting member soon.

twal my engine needs to be completely gone through,but I got my blasty and other toys to ride while I scratch and scrape the $ for this build
I see... are you doing the work on the engine yourself? If so, I definitely want to follow your progress! I still haven't decided if I want to have the engine I just purchased professionally rebuilt (I've been reading a lot about Ken O'Connor Racing) or if I feel ambitious enough to go for it on my own. I still have literally months to decide but I'm weighing my options. I must admit, I am jealous of your collection! I own an F-150, and while it's an absolute animal on and off road, I'm really looking forward to having something I can jump on and go. There are trails EVERYWHERE screaming my name.

Also, for anyone following my progress, I will be disassembling the chassis and potentially showing off the engine I purchased at some point today. STAY TUNED!

You will go faster with good suspension than with a fire breathing motor. 8-|

Works on front, 400ex/450r, or simular on rear. There are some sled shocks that will fit and work for front.

As to tires, get Banshee,warrior,raptor,yfz450 rear hubs and find a wheel/tire combo. Far better selection of tires for 9" rims than 8. Yfz450r hubs will add extra width.

Very ambitious build you have going. Don't know if I'd have started with just rolling chassis. To many missing parts, but keep an eye out for deals.

You will go faster with good suspension than with a fire breathing motor.

Works on front, 400ex/450r, or simular on rear. There are some sled shocks that will fit and work for front.

As to tires, get Banshee,warrior,raptor,yfz450 rear hubs and find a wheel/tire combo. Far better selection of tires for 9" rims than 8. Yfz450r hubs will add extra width.

Very ambitious build you have going. Don't know if I'd have started with just rolling chassis. To many missing parts, but keep an eye out for deals.
I wasn't aware of how much suspension affected the speed, I'll look into all of those shocks. I'm sure plenty of people here have the ones you mentioned so I'll look around.

I will look into the tire/wheel combo you mentioned. I never even considered changing the hubs for a different wheel size. Are there any aftermarket wheels you think I should check out? I'm looking for something with a design, whether it be subtle or in your face, and don't really know where to look.

Not only did I start with virtually nothing, but the chassis itself is missing a ton of hardware (nuts and bolts). I've been labeling and saving everything while disassembling it so I know exactly whats missing and can look into finding replacements.

That's how my build started. Just a roller and missing 99% of the original hardware. But my build is anything but stock. As for suspension, you will want to upgrade like everyone suggested. A stock blaster will bounce all over the place and you will fight it over every bump, jump and turn and eventually get bucked off like a rodeo clown. While you have it apart, gusset the frame. That way it won't get bent in an event you can't control. Trust me, it happens.

That's how my build started. Just a roller and missing 99% of the original hardware. But my build is anything but stock. As for suspension, you will want to upgrade like everyone suggested. A stock blaster will bounce all over the place and you will fight it over every bump, jump and turn and eventually get bucked off like a rodeo clown. While you have it apart, gusset the frame. That way it won't get bent in an event you can't control. Trust me, it happens.
THAT IS A GREAT IDEA! THANK YOU! The whole thing is going to be apart soon and gusseting the frame is a VERY good idea. Do you know if there are any kits floating around with pieces that are sized correctly? I would definitely be up for fabbing them if not.

Do you have any suggestions for exactly what I should do with the suspension?

THAT IS A GREAT IDEA! THANK YOU! The whole thing is going to be apart soon and gusseting the frame is a VERY good idea. Do you know if there are any kits floating around with pieces that are sized correctly? I would definitely be up for fabbing them if not.

Do you have any suggestions for exactly what I should do with the suspension?

There are a couple post on here about gussets with location and sizes. You will have to make them. There isn't a company that pre-makes them for the blaster anymore. I searched everywhere.

I suggest Ken O'Connor for the engine build. Guy can do it like no other.

Depending on your budget, you can send him the entire motor and have him press in a new big bore sleeve (240cc) Or you can buy a whole new cylinder already with a sleeve in it. But if you got a cylinder on last bore, or wrecked, i suggest re-sleeving

Don't know if they are still doing it, but the pic shows the placements.
THANK YOU! This will help me a lot.

I suggest Ken O'Connor for the engine build. Guy can do it like no other.

Depending on your budget, you can send him the entire motor and have him press in a new big bore sleeve (240cc) Or you can buy a whole new cylinder already with a sleeve in it. But if you got a cylinder on last bore, or wrecked, i suggest re-sleeving
That is actually exactly what I was thinking. I'll post pictures of the engine (pieces) I have soon in hope that an experienced individual can point me in the right direction. The cylinder I have looks rusted but not scored or gashed. I also think it's all stock but I'll definitely measure it to make sure. Ken O'Connor will surely be building my engine for me. I need to contact him and get a quote on how much rebuilding everything (and adding missing parts) is going to cost. I can't wait until the engine is done.

I have also completely disassembled the chassis and will be posting pictures and a full write up very soon!