TRX 250r Front Shocks

callmej75

Jul 12, 2009
Roanoke, VA
So I'm thinking on purchasing some 250r front shocks...works to be exact...and was wondering if anyone ever used these front shocks before? I am thinking on getting the ASR long travel +3 +1 a arms and they recommended a shock that is 16 1/4" from eye to eye for them, and these measure exactly that. If not...I may have to try something new I:I

phragle used to use those on blasters. here's one he did using stock a arms, just moved the upper mounts

attachment.php

Hmm....well to see it done...then it is possible with little fabbing...but my arms won't be stock so I won't have to move my top mounts. Hopefully with a long travel front, they will ride pretty comfy

i bet....if they measure out right, then that's a good deal, and those probably cost as much as a stock set for a yfz450.

A little less if I play my cards right...my 250r rear shock is on the way, and i've decided to make an adjustable mount for the rear that i can use in 2 different configurations...maybe one will measure 10" of travel, and the other, phragles magic number of 12" of travel. I can have it to sit lower, and less travel, or a little higher, and more travel.

I can't wait til this is done...I wanna see how well it rides and handles! These works are valved just right too...

thats awesome. i'll know pretty soon how my shocks are valved lol. i might just try to learn how to revalve them myself...rebuilding them is pretty easy, i'm finishing up my first set of shocks, and its really simple if you can get to somewhere to have the nitrogen recharged

haven't gotten a revalving kit found yet, but you can get seal kits on ebay, or right from works, they have instructions on how to service them right on their site. i've heard rumors that racetech has valving kits, but all i can find is their gold series valve kit that comes with some sheets and stuff to get you started on revalving

that's interesting. i dunno, the shock valving may be something i leave to people in the know lol. we'll see what happens, i'm really hoping they're ok how they are

they were pretty beat up lol. got all the new parts from works and freshened them up myself. its not too hard to do, and you don't need the spanner wrench for the seal head, just get yourself a coupler for 2 inch galvanized pipe and just drill/tap a hole for a 1/4 inch bolt and then you can use a pipe wrench on it without hurting anything. i'm sure they'll be better than stock lol

lol yeah...my rear 250r rear shock was awesome though.....i found it best to simply ride on the back wheels where the good shock is lol hahaha

LOL...

I believe these works shocks for the front that i have now, are from a Raptor. They measure around 15 1/2" from eye to eye. Pretty soft too...so i believe they are valved for a pretty light rider. I think if i got the long travel front arms, and a long shock like those works 250r that i'm thinking of getting, will give me enough room for a nice comfy ride, and without bottoming out on jumps.

With your 250r rear, could you tell a difference going over rough terrain? Like not jarring your guts out anymore type feel?

well i never actually rode with the stocker lol. i will tell you that you can tell the difference sitting on the quad...but i'm heavier than a lot of guys too (around 220).

Hey i'm tipping the scales at around 215...so i'm there with ya! Yeh sitting on it with a stock shock...it maybe went down an inch or two...that was with the spring de-compressed all the way. Jumping was maybe 10 times per day...and then it was time to shut it off due to my arms hurting so bad from the hard landings

yeah...i can't wait to put mine back together and ride lol. i've only ridden it long enough to break in the top end and then the 10-15 minutes it took to break the trans lol

one key tip for you, when you get it together, don't ride it lie a blaster, with actual long travel you should ride it like a bike, standing up over the bars. If you try riding hanging of the back of a true long travel bike it will not handle as well. The ONLY time you really need to hang off the back of a long travel quad is when you think you are going to die., then hang off the back as far as you can and gas it... you will soon find yourself saying " no freaking way did I just hit that and live"

When you first set it up you will probably think its to soft. you will be wrong andspend a couple days modifying your riding style like I said. the front sould have fairly soft springs, very little rebound dampening, you should be able to stand on the front bumper and with one big bounce just kiss the bumstop., in the rear grab hold of the grab bar and lift it all the way up then put all your weight on it, it should come close to bottoming out but not quite you need to set the rebound screw on full kill, then back it off a tick or two if it packs on you.

You hang off the back of a blaster to lighten the front and keep the back from kicking because the suspension is not working... now that you will have decent suspension, riding the bike in themiddle lets the suspension actually do its job.

one key tip for you, when you get it together, don't ride it lie a blaster, with actual long travel you should ride it like a bike, standing up over the bars. If you try riding hanging of the back of a true long travel bike it will not handle as well. The ONLY time you really need to hang off the back of a long travel quad is when you think you are going to die., then hang off the back as far as you can and gas it... you will soon find yourself saying " no freaking way did I just hit that and live"

When you first set it up you will probably think its to soft. you will be wrong andspend a couple days modifying your riding style like I said. the front sould have fairly soft springs, very little rebound dampening, you should be able to stand on the front bumper and with one big bounce just kiss the bumstop., in the rear grab hold of the grab bar and lift it all the way up then put all your weight on it, it should come close to bottoming out but not quite you need to set the rebound screw on full kill, then back it off a tick or two if it packs on you.

all hail our local suspension setup guru lol