Trouble starting

Texas

Oct 26, 2009
I have a 2004 blaster that has been sitting for about 2 years. When I got it from a friend in 2006 it ran great but never did want to idle right. The jet needle has never been changed and I set the air pilot screw to 1.5 turns off of fully in (read it in a manual). I did move from SC to Texas but I don't think that changes much the temperature is similar and the elevation change is only about 350ft. I changed out the spark plug and tested it. It seems like it is getting a good spark. I also drained the gas and put new gas in it. I cleaned the carb. The first time it leaked the new gas out of the carb and I am not sure why. The second time it did not leak. I have taken it apart a few times since then and checked everything. It does not seem like I am getting any gas to the engine. I did get it to pop one time when I took it apart and put some carb cleaner in the bottom of the bowl. It popped a time or two and then quit. I have tried to pull start it as well. The air filter is clean and in good condition. I have not changed the oil in it, but am planning on doing that tomorrow although I don't think it will have any affect. If anyone has advise I would like to try it out. Also since the carb cleaner got it to kick does that mean that the top end is good or could it still be bad. I almost forgot to add my friend got rid of the oil tank setup because the pump had stopped pumping. We mix the engine oil in with the gas in the gas tank. I know a lot of people that did that before. I do have 2 ports on the carb that I don't know what to do with. One is for the oil coming in and the other I don't know. I also don't know which is which, but I don't remember them ever having anything on them. Should there be something to close it off or are they ok.

Last edited:
Oh well im down in Columbus. We have a pretty cool park called mudbuddys close to us, you should come down here one weekend. Even though im trading my blaster for a yz250f this weekend we can still ride! Sorry i cant really help you out on the problem though.

compression test will let you know if the topend is good (take spark plug out and put the compression tester in and kick it over) I forget what good compression should be at, 120 psi I think, Perhaps someone else can chime in with that. Another thing that could be looked into is disconnecting the tors (Do a search in the diy)

Anything over 90 psi it should run.

You need to get a vacuum cap and put on the oil port on the side of the carb that will create a lean condition and make it hard to start.

Are you getting fuel to the carb bowl? Turn the gas on and back out the bowl drain and make sure gas comes out.

Sounds to me that your top end is junk, or your not getting gas to the bowl.
I'm leaning to the side of your problem is in your carb tho.

I turned on the gas and backed out the bowl drain and got nothing out. I don't have a compression gage but I will try to find one. Let me know if you think of anything else

Take a screw driver and use the handle to strike the bowl, not hard but hard enough that you might loosen up the float. It's stuck. Leave the drain loose while doing this to see if you get fuel.

Thanks for all the help so far. I still haven't gotten the compression tester, but I did get it running by playing with the floats. Now the problem is that it kicks over, but will not rev up. I have gotten it to run for a couple minutes at low rpm, but I have to hold the throttle down most of the way. If I let off the throttle it will die. If I let off and hit it hard a couple times it will rev slightly for a second and then go back to low rpm. Anyone have any suggestions for me on this one?

I am premixing the gas in the tank. I use 93 octane with a 32:1 ratio. The stock oil system went out before I bought it and was bypassed. I did notice that there is a small leak in the exhaust where the two parts connect but it is not bad. If I remember it was there when it was running good. I will try removing the TORS system. Do I need to buy anything to do that?