Trans Locking up?

Mar 29, 2011
Yorkville Illinois
I have 1989 cr 125 i recently bought, maybe 3 months ago. I was riding and the rear wheel locked up and almost dumped me, i pulled the lever, downshifted and it started right back up, so the motor did not seize which leads me to belive it is the trans. It did this several times before i decided it wasnt safe to ride any more. Any idea of what i will need to replace?

Sounds to me like you need to split the cases if for nor nothing else peace of mind.

Before doing so id prop it up as suggested but start it and run it through the gears and try to duplicate the problem or atleast get it to lock up and then split the cases to see whats going on in there.

It very well could be a clutch but id rule out the stuff that dont cost money first.Was this a new build?Or have you been riding with no issues then outta the blue this happened?

Yea sounds like its in the tranny.id open it up just to make sure could be a multitude of things in there but somethings definately not right.i have a whole spare tranny for things like that just in case.

Save yourself time and money and possibly a serious injury open it up and figure this out!

Diagnos in stages. Is there even oil in trans? Does wheel spin freely? Wheel/ chain w/trans in neutral? Then pull clutch cover and look for problems. Then pull plates and try trans in all gears rotating by rear wheel. If you find nothing THEN split cases, might be a broken tooth that randomly gets caught in the wrong place.

Diagnos in stages. Is there even oil in trans? Does wheel spin freely? Wheel/ chain w/trans in neutral? Then pull clutch cover and look for problems. Then pull plates and try trans in all gears rotating by rear wheel. If you find nothing THEN split cases, might be a broken tooth that randomly gets caught in the wrong place.

One thing to add........ your results can and will vary!!! I:I I:I I:I

go on ebay and buy a new bottom end and reuse the cylinder head and piston i think it would be alot easier than splitting the case

I am not made of money, nor do i trust ebay. I will try to duplicate it. I went to the honda dealer and they were clueless. When i pop off the clutch cover what should i be looking for? Just something out of place? Thanks for all of the help guys!

Yes, i had replaced the oil about 3 weeks before this started happening. Th wheel spins just fine, it is a totally random occurring. I will take the cover off, i am getting very angry bc it is nice out and my bike is just sitting!!! :(